I can’t get enough of this gorgeous brownie pie! It starts with a thick and fudgy layer of dark chocolate brownie that is packed with gooey cherries, then there’s a generous layer of creamy dark chocolate mousse, followed by my new favourite treat – chocolate dipped cherries.
This pie is surprisingly easy but is quite impressive in the looks department! Make your Christmas complete with this stunning Chocolate Cherry Brownie Mousse Pie – I know it will be making an appearance on my holiday table.
We love our brownies around here, from Loaded Brownies stuffed with Twix Bars to ones covered with swirls of Peanut Butter and Jelly. But really, a perfectly gooey brownie topped with chocolate mousse? THAT my friends, is hard to beat!
The mousse itself only needs two ingredients – that’s right just two! And is a spin-off from my very popular Candy Bar Chocolate Mousse Pie. It sets brilliantly in the fridge and holds it’s shape when cut. You don’t need to serve this pie with anything extra, it has everything neatly packed into one incredible slice.
Christmas in Australia means cherries galore – one of my favourite perks of the season. But once you get a beautiful cherry and dip it in rich dark chocolate, well then you have one of the best treats around! Seriously, I couldn’t get enough of these!
I think a bowl full of chocolate dipped cherries would be the perfect snack for Christmas day as well. Alternatively, if you don’t have cherries in season at the moment, you could just leave them off – trust me, the pie itself is still outrageously good.
How was your weekend? I baked a few Christmas treats (eggnog anyone?) and ate way too many of them. Does anyone else find freshly baked gingerbread irresistible or is it just me? I’m looking forward to sharing a few new recipes with you soon
.Then there’s the Christmas shopping – so thankful to be in walking distance to the city since we moved house, it is so convenient! And I’m very thankful for online shopping! Not missing the crowds there. Well the countdown is on, hope your enjoying the holiday season! Only 18 days to go!
Chocolate Cherry Brownie Mousse Pie
Gorgeous Chocolate Cherry Mousse Pie with a fudgy chocolate brownie base, a creamy chocolate mousse filling and plenty of chocolate dipped cherries!
- Yield: Makes one 9 inch pie
Dark chocolate cherry brownie
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, chopped
- 200 grams (1 and 1/3 cup) good quality dark chocolate
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 85 grams (2/3 cup) plain flour
- 80 grams (1/2 cup) tinned, pitted cherries, drained
- 100 grams (2/3 cup) good quality dark chocolate
- 360 ml (1 and 1/2 cups) thickened or heavy cream
- 12 fresh cherries with stem
- 100 grams (2/3 cup) good quality dark chocolate
- Grease and line a (9 inch) round loose bottom baking tin with baking or parchment paper. Pop the butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl and place over a medium saucepan that is filled with a bit of water, say 2 inches high or so. You need to ensure the bottom of the bowl will not touch the water below. Place on the stove on medium heat and stir while the chocolate and butter melt. Once the mixture is lovely and smooth, remove the bowl from the heat and leave to cool slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 160 C (320 F). Next, add the sugars and vanilla to the chocolate mixture and beat with an electric beater until combined. Add the eggs, one at a time and beat again. Then sift in the flour and beat until the brownie mixture is smooth. Stir through the cherries. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin. Very gently smooth over the top.
- Bake the brownie for about 35-40 minutes or until cooked through. It should have a nice cracked top and no longer wobble in the middle. Leave to cool completely.
- To make the chocolate mousse, finely chop the dark chocolate and place in a bowl. Then heat 1/2 cup (120 ml) of your cream in a small saucepan on a medium-low heat until it is warm (do not boil), then pour over your dark chocolate and leave it for about 2-3 minutes. Then whisk your dark chocolate mixture until it is smooth. Leave it to cool for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile start whipping the remaining 1 cup (240 ml) of cream until it resembles stiff peaks. Then fold your whipped cream into your chocolate mixture very gently until fully incorporated. Then pour the mousse over your brownie. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours or until mousse is set (it is a very soft mousse so it won’t go firm but it will hold its shape when cut).
- To decorate, melt your dark chocolate in the microwave in a small heat-proof bowl, stirring in-between every 10 seconds until melted. Line a small tray or flat plate with baking or parchment paper. Then gently dip each cherry, holding it by the stem, into the chocolate. Lift it out and gently shake before placing it on your prepared tray. Repeat with all your cherries, than refrigerate for 1/2 hour or until set. Use them to decorate the brownie pie before serving.