Chocolate Marshmallow Mousse Cake aka a chocolate lovers dream.
This cake makes me swoon. First there’s the Oreo cookie base, which is always a winner in my books. Followed by a layer of marshmallow chocolate mousse (yes I said marshmallow) and finally, a thin layer of chocolate ganache AND a scattering of chopped Kit Kats!
This is one No Bake Chocolate Marshmallow Mousse Cake to remember. And THAT chocolate mousse is no ordinary chocolate mousse – it’s made with melted marshmallows, chocolate and cream. Hello!
This Chocolate Marshmallow Mousse Cake is a total showstopper. It looks impressive but it’s also surprisingly easy. The chocolate mousse is completely egg-free and is made using just four ingredients – marshmallows, milk, chocolate and plenty of whipped cream. It is kind of a cross between mousse and pudding.
Not only do the marshmallows add a lovely sweetness but they help the cake hold its shape beautifully once it’s set. You’ll end up with a creamy chocolate mousse that is light, fluffy and sweet – just like a marshmallow.
Once you have made the filling, you need to leave the cake to set overnight or for a good 6-8 hours. The mixture will be quite runny, leaving you with thoughts of, ‘Will this set?’ and ‘Have I done this right?’. But let me tell you now, you have done it right and it will set, all thanks to those magical marshmallows.
Finally there’s a thin layer of chocolate ganache and then it’s time to decorate your Chocolate Marshmallow Mousse Cake. I showered mine with Kit Kat’s because a little crunch works perfectly with that creamy mousse filling.
So apart from making and eating cake and French Toast, I was able to catch up with friends and even hit the beach thanks to the beautiful summer weather we’ve been having. I’m finally getting a bit of colour back into my face #officejobproblems
This week I’m determined to get stuck into my Christmas shopping (only 20 sleeps – what?) and I’m working on a few more Christmas treats for you. I hope you had a great weekend and if you are on the hunt for a no bake dessert, try this Chocolate Marshmallow Mousse Pie – you’ll love it!
No Bake Chocolate Marshmallow Mousse Cake with an Oreo cookie base, a layer of marshmallow chocolate mousse, chocolate ganache and Kit Kats!
- 300 grams (approximately 30) Oreo cookies
- 115 grams (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
Chocolate marshmallow mousse
- 250 grams (3 cups) marshmallows
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) milk
- 360ml (1 and 1/2 cups) thickened or heavy cream
- 200 grams (1 and 1/3 cup) semi-sweet or dark chocolate, pieces
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) thickened or heavy cream
- 75 grams (1/2 cup) dark or semi-sweet chocolate, pieces
- Kit Kats for decorating
- Lightly grease a 9 inch (23 cm) springform baking tin with a little butter and set aside. Add your Oreo biscuits (cream and all) to a food processor and blend until they resemble fine crumbs. Melt your butter in the microwave and then pour over your crushed Oreos and whiz again until the mixture resembles wet sand. Pour your Oreo mixture into your prepared tin and press down gently to form an even layer. Pop in the fridge.
- Place your marshmallows in a heatproof bowl and pop on top of a saucepan filled with a small amount of water, ensuring the bottom of the bowl will not touch the water below. Place on a medium-low heat and stir gently as the marshmallows slowly start to melt. Once they are slightly melted, add the milk and continue to stir until smooth.
- Meanwhile, beat your cream until soft peaks form using an electric mixer. Once the marshmallow mixture is smooth (it’s ok if there are a few small marshmallow lumps), stir in the chocolate pieces until combined. Remove from heat and gently fold through your whipped cream. Pour the chocolate marshmallow mousse over your Oreo crust, cover with a piece of alfoil and place in the fridge overnight or for at least 6-8 hours.
- Once your mousse cake has set, gently run a knife around the edge of your tin and remove the edge. Then make your chocolate ganache, by warming your cream in the microwave until hot to the touch (but not boiling), then add your chocolate and whisk until smooth. Leave for 10-15 minutes to cool and thicken slightly. Pour your chocolate ganache over your cake and gently spread out with a small spatula, then scatter over your Kit Kats. Place in the fridge until you are ready to serve.