This here 👆🏻 is magical bread.
First of all, it only requires 6 ingredients. And they are NOT what you would expect. There’s no butter or eggs or added sugar. So what IS in this bread? Ice cream. That’s right, vanilla ice cream is baked and transformed into a soft, sweet bread. (Mind blown).
Filled to the brim with chocolate chips and tons of sprinkles, this Ice Cream Bread is what dreams are made of.
It was just a few days ago, that I heard ice cream could be baked. A light bulb moment if you will. OF COURSE IT CAN. It has eggs, sugar and tons of flavour already in it. So why wouldn’t this work? It seemed so outrageous in the best kind of way.
So, what did I do? I rushed down to the shops and bought myself a huge tub of ice cream. I ate some (of course) and then I baked some! And I can tell you it DOES work. And it tastes delicious!
Along with a little flour and baking powder, I loaded my ice cream batter with two of my favourite things – chocolate and sprinkles. And voila – the most amazing Ice Cream Bread was born.
When this bread bakes, it forms a thin, crunchy crust, but maintains a soft and fluffy centre. While it is still warm from the oven, you need to cut a thick slice and smear it with butter for a little taste of Ice Cream Bread heaven.
What amazed me the most about this bread is the texture. It is surprisingly light and fluffy, without having to cream any butter or sugar or add any special ingredients. In fact, you only need a bowl and spoon to make this cake – no electric mixer required!
I actually think this bread would be pretty cute for a kids party. I mean everyone loves an ice cream cake, but ice cream bread? Yes please! Plus those pretty sprinkles just make me weak at the knees.
Well the Easter weekend is nearly over but it is has been SO fun! We went to church, relaxed by the beach, met up with friends, had some family time and did some baking in between. It has been just lovely – and just what I needed.
Last night we went to a Malaysian restaurant for dinner and ate our hearts out. I am just the biggest roti canai fan. Have you tried it before? I could eat it ALL DAY LONG. As well as this ice cream bread. I hope you had a wonderful Easter break!
Amazing Funfetti Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Bread
Filled to the brim with chocolate chips and loads of sprinkles, this Amazing Funfetti Ice Cream Bread is made with vanilla ice cream.
- Yield: Makes one 8 x 4 inch loaf
- 720 ml (3 cups) good quality vanilla ice cream
- 280 grams (2 cups) plain flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 75 grams (1/2 cup) milk or dark chocolate chips
- 80 grams (1/2 cup) sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 160 C (320 F). Grease and line a rectangular 8 x 4 inch loaf tin with baking paper or parchment paper, ensuring two sides overhang. In a large mixing bowl, place your ice cream and stir until softened and slightly melted. You might need to leave it for 5 minutes or so to soften.
- Then add your flour and baking powder and stir to combine. Add vanilla, chocolate and sprinkles. Stir until mixture becomes smooth. Pour batter into your prepared tin, smooth the top and bake for approximately 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cut thick slices and smear with butter.