I’m sitting here eating Nutella Meringues and getting ready to say goodbye to 2015 and hello to 2016. I feel like every year is flying by faster than the one before but it is always neat to see in another year. However you are celebrating the New Year, I think a plate of Nutella Meringues is a great addition to ANY party.
These gorgeous confections are deliciously chewy with a nutty chocolate flavour hidden inside a crisp shell. You only need three ingredients and they are completely gluten free so everyone can enjoy them!
Do you make New Years Resolutions? I don’t generally, although I do like to think about the coming year and make a few goals for myself, beyond eating more fruits and vegetables and dusting off the sneakers.
I’m looking forward to adding more and more recipes to Sweetest Menu in 2016. I would love to one day have something here for everyone and every occasion! I also have pastry fears to conquer and dough making skills to master, not to mention a mountain of pies to perfect.
Of course, it’s not all about the difficult recipes around here. In fact, I LOVE simple recipes and these Nutella Meringues could not be easier. If you have a jar of Nutella in your cupboard, you could be eating one (or three) of these in no time.
The Nutella gives the meringues a hint of hazelnuts and beautiful chocolate swirls that run through the marshmallow. I think I ate three of these in a matter of minutes because they are so light, crisp, crunchy and completely moreish! Make a batch and let’s toast to a fabulous 2016!
Deliciously chewy three ingredient Nutella Meringues.
- 4 egg whites
- 200 grams (1 cup) caster sugar
- 300 grams (1 cup) Nutella
- To make the meringues, line two baking trays with baking or parchment paper. Preheat oven to 170 C (340 F) standard / 150 C (300 F) fan-forced.
- Add egg whites into a large mixing bowl or the bowl of your standing mixer. Beat on low for a minute or two until the egg whites start to turn white and foamy, then turn up to medium and until soft peaks form.
- At this stage, continue to beat and slowly add in your sugar, just one tablespoon at a time. Once all the sugar has been added, your mixture should be stiff and glossy and almost tripled in volume.
- Once the egg whites have formed stiff peaks, spoon half of your Nutella and gently fold through (just fold lightly as you want to keep the streaks and not mix the Nutella through completely), and then add the remaining Nutella and softly mix through a couple of times. Place dollops of your meringue mixture onto your baking trays. They do not have to be perfect but try and make the meringue mounds a similar size.
- Pop in the oven for 25 minutes. Turn the oven off and leave the meringues inside for 1-2 hours. This will help them to slowly cool and will reduce any cracks. Then remove from the oven and store in an airtight container.