Love funfetti? You’ll fall head over heels for these light-as-air, cake-like, Funfetti Sour Cream Cookies covered in colourful funfetti sprinkles.
Sour cream makes everything better.
I mean, literally, everything. You already know that I love adding sour cream to my cakes (like this one) and my cheesecakes (see this one) but now, I’ve gone and added sour cream TO MY COOKIES.
The result? Perfect Funfetti Sour Cream Cookies that are crispy on the outside and as light as air on the inside. These soft cake-like cookies are perfect to sandwich together as whoopie pies or enjoy on their own.
I’ve always had a very soft spot for sour cream. It’s a bit of a problem. I still remember using it for a meal in home economics class at school and then just sitting there, eating the rest of it with a spoon. And I’ll happily admit that it is still one of vices. I’ll pile it high on just about anything.
So for me, it’s always good when I can use it in baking, just so I can get it out of the fridge and away from my spoon! So these cookies were a lifesaver!
Not only are these cookies super cute with their golden edges and colourful sprinkles but they are really easy to make. You don’t even need to chill the dough. It’s quite a wet batter, similar to cake, so you will need a cookie scoop to make these.
The cool thing is they spread out perfectly in the oven, so they all look picture perfect. Instead of mixing through the sprinkles for these, I like to simply adding them on top of each cookie once they are on the baking tray. It helps the sprinkles to really pop and not get lost in the batter once baked.
So these cookies are unlike any other cookie I’ve made before. If I can describe them to you I would say they are actually more like cake than a cookie, which is why they remind me of a whoopie pie. In fact, they would be delicious sandwiched together with a little buttercream!
But they are equally nice by themselves. I ate three straight out of the oven. I think they are best eaten fresh, as they get these lovely golden edges , with a super fluffy interior. My best advice is do not over bake these cookies. It’s best to undercook than overcook. Well I hope you love these Sour Cream Cookies as much as I do!
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below. Hungry for more? Join me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter for more amazing recipe ideas.
Funfetti Sour Cream Cookies
Perfect Funfetti Sour Cream Cookies that are crispy on the outside and as light as air on the inside.
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 200 grams (1 cup) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) full fat sour cream
- 280 grams (2 cups) plain flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup funfetti sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add butter and sugars and beat using an electric beater for a minute or two until pale and creamy.
- Add the vanilla and eggs, one at a time, and beat until combined, scrapping down the sides. Add the sour cream and mix until smooth. Add the sifted flour, baking powder and baking soda and mix briefly until combined, but be careful not to over mix.
- Use a medium size cookie scoop* to portion out the mixture and place on the prepared baking trays, leaving room for the cookies to flatten out slighty. Use your hands to sprinkle the funfetti pieces all over each cookie.
- Place in oven for 8 minutes or until just golden brown on the edges. Leave to cool for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
I used a size 40 cookie scoop which has a 1.5 inch diameter. If you’re using a smaller or larger cookie scoop, you may want to adjust the cooking time.
Leave a Comment