An Australian classic, Fairy Bread is a kid’s party favourite and so easy to make! You only need three ingredients for this sweet treat – bread, butter and sprinkles.
I ❤️ Fairy Bread
A simple party-time treat consisting of bread, butter and sprinkles.
What is Fairy Bread?
While Fairy Bread is a staple here in Australia, it’s not that well known in other parts of the world. In fact, there’s a lot of confusion about what it actually is. So I’m here to answer the question.
Fairy Bread is simply white bread, smothered in spreadable butter and covered with colourful sprinkles called 100’s & 1000’s.
It’s super quick to make and is often served at kid’s birthday parties as a tea-time treat.
How do you make Fairy Bread?
There are only a few rules when making traditional Australian Fairy Bread.
- You need to use a loaf of white store bought bread. The kind that’s cheap and cheerful with no nutritional value 😂
- You need to cover whole slices of the bread in lots and lots of spreadable butter (or margarine). Be generous and cover the slices right to the edges.
- You have to use 100’s & 1000’s and be prepared to get them all over your kitchen bench and floor.
- Carefully cover your buttered bread in sprinkles and then cut them in small triangles.
- It is best served fresh!
Can I make Fairy Bread ahead of time?
You can make Fairy Bread a few hours before your party but it is best served fresh. You want the bread to stay lovely and soft. Also keep it out of the humidity if you can!
What are 100’s & 1000’s?
100’s and 1000’s are small, round, colourful sprinkles. They are sold in most grocery stores in Australia. They are sometimes referred to as nonpareil sprinkles in other countries.
Learn how to make Fairy Bread – a classic kid’s party time treat.
- 8 store-bought white bread slices
- Spreadable butter (or margarine)
- 100‘s & 1000’s sprinkles
- Start by covering slices of white bread in lots and lots of spreadable butter. Be generous and spread the butter right to the edges (this is what the sprinkles will stick to).
- Carefully add 100’s & 1000’s sprinkles on top of the butter. I find it easiest to do this by spooning over the sprinkles using a dessert spoon.
- Finally, cut your bread slice into small triangles. Serve.
*Fairy Bread is best served fresh.