Peanut butter? Check. Chocolate? Check. Cookies? Check check.
Say hello to the ultimate Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie Sandwich, one that is sweet, salty and incredibly hard to resist! You have two chewy chocolate cookies stuffed with a creamy peanut butter filling for the perfect two-in-one treat.
Cookies are my weakness. They were pretty much the first thing I learnt how to bake. And I think I spent the first year of my married life making cookies. Whenever we had guests over – out came the cookies. No one seemed to mind the repeat menu either.
I wish back then I realised how magical sandwich cookies are. I mean, who’s going to complain about eating two cookies at once? And these chocolate cookies go perfectly with the creamy peanut butter filling. Honestly it was hard to stop licking the spoon when making that frosting!
I don’t want to be a broken record so I won’t go on and on about how well chocolate and peanut butter go together (already discussed here, here AND here). I’ll just let these Chocolate Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies do the talking for me.
So take your beloved chocolate cookies to the next level with this perfect peanut butter twist. I’m sure your chocolate peanut butter-loving friends will love you forever!
Two chewy chocolate cookies stuffed with a creamy peanut butter frosting for the perfect two-in-one treat.
- 115 grams (1 stick or 1/2 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 140 grams (1 cup) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cornflour or corn starch
- 40 grams (1/2 cup) cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 40 grams (1/4 cup) dark chocolate chunks
Peanut butter filling
- 60 grams (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 190 grams (3/4 cup) smooth peanut butter
- 125 grams (1 cup) icing sugar or powdered sugar
- Line two baking trays with baking paper. In a large mixing bowl, add butter and sugars and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Add vanilla and egg and beat for a minute or so until smooth.
- Sift in flour, baking soda, cornflour and cocoa into the mixture, and stir until a chocolate dough forms. If it’s a little dry, add the tablespoon of milk and then stir in the chocolate chunks.
- Place the dough in the fridge and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced.
- Roll balls of the dough until smooth using your hands and pop onto the prepared trays. Place in the oven and bake for approximately 8-10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- Add your peanut butter, butter (make sure its nice and soft) and sugar to a large mixing bowl. Beat together on low using an electric mixer until combined and then turn the speed up a little and whizz until your mixture becomes nice and smooth.
- Add frosting to a piping bag fitted with a large star tip and pipe onto one cookie and place another on top. Repeat with all cookies.