Christmas is coming!
And I have the perfect Christmas cookie to share with you today. If you love gingerbread cookies and gingerbread cake, then you have got to try these Chocolate Chunk Molasses Cookies! Crunchy and golden on the edges and filled to the brim with chocolate, they’re a lovely twist on regular gingerbread cookies.
At this time of year, I am ALL about that ginger. And these cookies are everything. Flavoured using molasses, ginger and cinnamon and then there’s ALL that chocolate… I am SO there!
Hands down, these cookies are my new favourite. They have deliciously crisp edges and are absolutely PACKED with chocolate. Before baking your cookies, you need to roll them in a little extra sugar for a nice crunch. And then load them up with roughly chopped pieces of chocolate for a ridiculously gooey centre.
Even though I love cakes, there is something oddly satisfying about a fresh-out-of-the-oven cookie. Most of the time I cannot go past a chocolate chip cookie but these Chocolate Chunk Molasses Cookies? They’re full of flavour, full of chocolate and full of Christmas cheer!
This week at work I attended a magazine photo shoot at our studios. So Much Fun. I loved being a part of all the behind-the-scenes action and seeing a recipe come to life from conception to the final proof. A recipe other than one created in my own kitchen that is!
How are you going this silly season? I honestly feel like the holiday season just APPEARED out of nowhere. And suddenly it’s Christmas! I’m still making my way through my Christmas shopping but am over halfway through so that is a relief.
Meanwhile I have been LOVING getting my Christmas bake on this year. I have a few more special treats for you, including a gorgeous chocolate cherry surprise (see Instagram for a sneak peak), coming soon!
Chocolate Chunk Molasses Cookies
Crunchy and golden on the edges and filled to the brim with chocolate, these Chocolate Chunk Molasses Cookies taste incredible!
- Yield: Makes 16 cookies
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 135 grams (3/4 cup) brown sugar, plus extra for rolling
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) molasses
- 245 grams (1 and 3/4 cup) plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 150 grams (1 cup) good quality dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (360 F). Line two baking trays with baking paper. In a large mixing bowl, add the butter and sugars and beat using an electric beater for a minute or two until smooth and creamy. Add the egg and the vanilla and beat until combined, scrapping down the sides. Then add the molasses. Add the sifted flour, baking soda, ginger and cinnamon and stir using a wooden spoon.
- Roughly chop the chocolate into a mix of large and small pieces. Then add the chocolate chunks into the cookie dough. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Roll teaspoons of the mixture into balls, roll them in a little extra brown sugar and then place on the prepared baking trays, leaving room for the cookies to flatten out. Place in oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown on the edges. Leave to cool for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.