Learn how to make Birthday Cake Truffles just like the famous New York Bakery, Milk Bar. These truffles are made with leftover funfetti cake that’s coated in white chocolate and rolled in homemade cookie crumbs.
It’s your birthday!
Celebrate all the good things in life with these amazing Birthday Cake Truffles. Buttery funfetti cake soaked in vanilla milk, rolled in white chocolate and covered in homemade birthday cake cookie crumbs.
Hands down, the BEST way to use up leftover cake.
Last year, Josh and I were holidaying in Los Angeles, and in addition to eating our way through the city, we went to the famous Milk Bar bakery on Melrose Avenue to join one of their cooking classes – and eat our fair share of cookies and cereal milk soft serve.
We joined other excited Christina Tosi fans and learnt how to assemble their famous Birthday Cake. We then had a truffle party and made their popular Birthday Cake Truffles. So. Much. Fun.
If you’ve been around here a while, you’ll know that Milk Bar’s bakes have inspired so many of my recipes. From my Blueberries and Cream Cookies and Cornflake Marshmallow Cookies to my popular Peanut Butter Cake, layered just like Milk Bar’s famous cakes.
So, of course, I had to replicate a version of their cake truffles that can be made at home too. And these truffles do not disappoint.
They’re soft and sweet and oh-so-delish. The sugary coating is made from funfetti cookie crumbs that have been pulsed into fine crumbs, adding a little crunch. Then there’s the crisp white chocolate shell that holds the soft, moist cake together.
One bite and you’ll be whisked away to cake truffle heaven. You. Are. Welcome.
How to make birthday cake truffles
- Crumble leftover cake
- Moisten cake with vanilla milk
- Scoop out into cake balls
- Roll in white chocolate
- Coat in birthday cake crumbs
What cake should I use?
You can use any flavoured cake you like, but I do recommend using leftover funfetti cake or vanilla cake. If you are using actual leftover cake, you’ll need to scrape off any frosting. Alternatively, you can bake a cake from scratch just to make these truffles – or even use a box mix cake.
What are cookie crumbs?
The crumbs make up the sweet, crunchy coating of the truffles. Essentially, they’re homemade shortbread cookies that are baked in the oven. Once cooled, they are then pulsed in a food processor to form ‘sand’.
How do you store cake truffles?
Keep your cake truffles in an airtight container in the fridge.
More funfetti recipes to try
- Funfetti Cake
- Funfetti Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Vanilla Cupcakes
- Yellow Cake with Funfetti Crumbs
- Cake Mix Cookies
Funfetti Cake Truffles made from scratch.
Birthday cake crumbs
- 105 grams (3/4 cup) plain flour
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornflour or corn starch
- 60 grams (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) funfetti sprinkles
Cake and milk soak
- 450 grams (4 cups) leftover funfetti cake or vanilla cake
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) full fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
White chocolate coating
- 200 grams (1 and 1/3 cup) white chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or flavourless oil
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Line a baking tray with baking or parchment paper.
- Start by making your funfetti cookie crumbs. In a large mixing bowl, add flour, sugar and cornflour. Whisk together. Pour over melted butter, along with the vanilla, stir briefly. Add sprinkles and then stir until cookie crumbs are completely coated and resemble wet sand.
- Pour crumbs onto a baking tray lined with baking or parchment paper and spread out into one layer. Bake for 10 minutes, then leave to cool completely.
- Next, take your leftover cake and roughly crumble it using your hands. Place cake pieces in a large mixing bowl. Stir together milk and vanilla.
- Add milk, just 1 tablespoon at a time, and gently mix until cake is soft and moist. Try not add too much milk as you don’t want the cake too wet. You may not use all the milk – this is ok.
- Scoop out balls of cake, approximately 1.5 tablespoons each, and roll them smooth using your hands. Place cake truffles in the fridge for 15 minutes or so until they’re a little more firm.
- Meanwhile, add white chocolate to a heatproof bowl. Heat in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds, until melted and smooth. Add oil and stir until smooth.
- Coat cake truffles, one at a time, in melted white chocolate and then immediately dunk in cookie crumbs. Roll truffles around until they’re completely covered in crumbs. Repeat with remaining truffles.
- Place truffles in the fridge for at least 1 hour to firm up. Store truffles in an airtight container in the fridge.
- You can make a cake from scratch especially for this recipe or use leftover cake. When testing this recipe, I used my Funfetti Cake recipe. If you are using leftover cake, scrape off any frosting and just use the cake.
- You’ll have plenty of leftover cookie crumbs. Store these in an airtight container. You can use the leftovers to decorate cakes or cupcakes.