Hi friends! I have a gorgeous cupcake recipe to share with you today. These beauties feature soft and fluffy cocoa-filled chocolate cakes that are topped with silky smooth pink marshmallow frosting and decorated with chunky pieces of Nutella Rocky Road Bark.
If you love rocky road, these cupcakes will become your favourite sweet treat. They are an irresistible mix of chocolate, marshmallow and nuts. They are also the perfect pink cupcake for a baby shower or celebration!
How was your weekend? It’s a long weekend here which I am very grateful for. They always seem to come just at the right time. I had my sister in law’s baby shower yesterday and I made these cupcakes as she is expecting a little girl.
I love rocky road so these were a treat to make (and eat). Remember when I told you a few weeks ago that I fell in love with marshmallow frosting when making my High Hat Cupcakes so I couldn’t wait to try making it again. This time I dyed it a pastel pink which worked really well.
So there’s chocolate cake and glossy marshmallow frosting but I couldn’t stop there. I also added chunky pieces of rocky road – but not just any rocky road, my special Nutella Rocky Road Bark.
It is made using rich dark chocolate and a few spoonfuls of Nutella, mixed with mini marshmallow and an assortment of roasted walnuts and almonds. It tastes absolutely divine and only takes a few minutes to make. All in all, these cupcakes are one special treat.
Soft and fluffy chocolate cakes topped with silky smooth pink marshmallow frosting and chunky pieces of Nutella Rocky Road.
- 105 grams (3/4 cup) plain flour
- 20 grams (1/4 cup) cocoa powder
- 20 grams (1/4 cup) dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 45 grams (1/4 cup) brown sugar
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) buttermilk
Pink marshmallow frosting
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 200 grams (1 cup) caster sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Nutella Rocky Road
- 1/2 a batch of Nutella Rocky Road
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with patty cases.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powders, baking soda, baking powder and then add the sugars – give it a stir. Pop the butter into the microwave for a short burst, 10 seconds or so at a time, until it is just melted. Give it a stir with a fork to eliminate any lumps. In a separate mixing bowl, add the eggs, vanilla and butter and whisk together until smooth. Then add the wet mixture into the dry mixture, along with the buttermilk and gently fold until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared patty cases and pop into the oven. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until just cooked through. Set cakes out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- To make the marshmallow frosting, fill a medium saucepan with a few inches of water and pop on a medium heat. In a small heatproof bowl, add your eggs whites, caster sugar and cream of tartar. Whisk together. Then pop the bowl over the saucepan, ensuring the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. As the egg whites heat, whisk gently by hand the entire time. You’ll want to heat the egg whites to 50 C / 120 F which you can test by sticking a candy thermometer into the mixture or go by feel (the mixture should be hot to the touch) – should be around 5-6 minutes or so.
- Then remove the bowl from the saucepan and place the mixture in the base of a stand mixer (or simply use a hand beater) and whisk on medium speed for approximately 5 minutes or until the mixture is fluffy, white and voluminous. Add the vanilla and beat for 30 seconds or so. Then add a few drops of pink food colouring and mix through. Grab your piping bag fitted with a large round or star shaped tip. Fill with the marshmallow fluff and pipe swirls onto each cupcake.
- Make your Nutella Rocky Road. Then add a piece of Nutella Rocky Road onto each cupcake.
If you don’t have dutch processed cocoa, just use 1/2 cup of regular cocoa powder total.
Keywords: Chocolate, Cupcakes, Marshmallow, Rocky road