You are going to LOVE me! I’ve got an irresistible treat for you today. These Fluffernutter Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars are everything that’s right in the world. From the golden brown chocolate chip cookie to the generous slathering of marshmallow fluff on top.
With a dollop of peanut butter in-between and a drizzling of dark chocolate, you have one over-the-top American-inspired treat, because that’s what we are all about over here right? It’s gooey and chewy, buttery and sweet. You are going to love it!
I first heard of the term ‘fluffernutter’ about two years ago. I had just discovered the wonder of Marshmallow Fluff – a fluffy white meringue-like substance made in America from egg whites and sugar, tasting similar to a melted marshmallow.
Apparently peanut butter and marshmallow fluff together (the infamous fluffernutter) was all kinds of awesome. Well it turns out they were right! Top THAT with chocolate and place it on a giant chocolate chip cookie and you have, well, one sticky messy delicious treat.
When I made my High Hat Chocolate Cupcakes a few weeks ago, I told you I was addicted to making homemade marshmallow fluff and I wasn’t lying. I used it to make my Rocky Road Cupcakes, now these Fluffernutter Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars and very shortly, Smores Cupcakes (coming soon!).
Have you tried it yet? It’s much easier than you’d think and it is so much fun to make and eat! It goes splendidly with just about anything, including chocolate chip cookies!
How is your week going? Any plans for the weekend? As I mentioned in my last post, we are getting ready to move house in a couple of weeks so you can find me buried under a pile of newspapers and boxes munching on these Fluffernutter Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars.
I am also planning on diving into the world of Christmas baking this weekend – the best time of year am I right? I’m looking forward to adding some super sweet treats to my Christmas recipe collection real soon!
Fluffernutter Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars with a baked chocolate chip cookie base topped with homemade marshmallow fluff and chocolate.
Chocolate chip cookie
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 175 grams (1 and 1/4 cups) plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 110 grams (3/4 cup) milk or dark chocolate chips
- 60 grams (1/4 cup) smooth peanut butter
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 200 grams (1 cup) caster sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 150 grams (1 cup) good quality milk or dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Grease and line an 8-inch square baking tin. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until combined. Add the vanilla extract and egg and continue to beat until soft and creamy. Sift in the flour, baking soda and cornflour. Gently fold until dough starts to come together.
- Throw in the chocolate chips and fold through. Place all the dough into your prepared tin and press down and spread out as even as possible. Place in the oven for 18 – 20 minutes or until golden brown. Leave to cool completely.
- To make the marshmallow fluff, fill a medium saucepan with a few inches of water and pop on a medium heat. In a small heatproof bowl, add your eggs whites, caster sugar and cream of tartar. Whisk together. Then pop the bowl over the saucepan, ensuring the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. As the egg whites heat, whisk gently by hand the entire time.
- You’ll want to heat the egg whites to 50 C / 120 F which you can test by sticking a candy thermometer into the mixture or go by feel (the mixture should be hot to the touch) – should be around 5-6 minutes or so.
- Then remove the bowl from the saucepan and place the mixture in the base of a stand mixer (or simply use a hand beater) and beat on medium speed for approximately 5 minutes or until the mixture is fluffy, white and voluminous. Add the vanilla and beat for 30 seconds or so.
- Then spread your smooth peanut butter over your chocolate chip cookie. Then pour over your marshmallow fluff and gently smooth the top with a spatula. Melt your chocolate in the microwave, stirring in-between 20 seconds bursts and then pour over the top. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until the chocolate is set. Cut and serve.
Keywords: Chocolate, Cookies, Chocolate chip, Marshmallow, Dessert