This brownie is the belle of the ball. Chocolate loaded, fudgy and topped with a smattering of Oreos. It is a sinfully sweet treat. A brownie is one of those desserts, extremely hard to resist for any chocoholic. If there is ever a brownie on the menu at a restaurant, you can almost guarantee it will have my name on it.
I went all out with these brownies and used dark chocolate and also filled the batter with chocolate chips. A little extra flour than normal gives them a delightfully chewy texture. I can speak from experience when I say, you can’t stop at one!
It is no secret that I am a brownie lover through and through. I have already introduced you to my Loaded Twix Chocolate Brownies, my Peanut Butter and Jelly Brownies, and my Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownie Ice Cream and now we have another one to add to the favourites list. Using America’s favourite cookie, these brownies have a crisp crunchy top that blends well with the fudgy centre.
If you like your brownies a little more on the cakey side, you’ll be pleased to know that they firm up once they cool completely. But you can add a little more flour or cook them for slightly longer to also achieve that texture. But that fudgy, gooey inside makes me weak at the knees.
So tell me, what are you up to this weekend? Other than baking up a storm, I saw a musical last night which my niece starred in. It was fantastic, she’s extremely talented and a joy to watch on stage. Well there’s no better way to celebrate the weekend than with a Double Chocolate Oreo Brownie.
So why not get your baking mittens on and whip up a batch? They won’t take too long and the results are well worth it – trust me. Served with a dollop of cream or vanilla ice cream, they are a dreamy dessert.
Double Chocolate Oreo Brownies
Extra fudgy Double Chocolate Oreo Brownies loaded with chocolate chips and Oreo cookies.
- Yield: Makes one 8 inch square pan
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, chopped
- 200 grams (1 and 1/4 cup) good quality dark chocolate, in pieces
- 180 grams (1 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 100 grams (2/3 cup + 1 tablespoon) plain flour
- 70 grams (1/2 cup) milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup plain Oreos, broken into pieces
- Grease and line an 8 inch square tin with paper baking, ensuring two sides of the paper overhang. Pop the chopped butter and pieces of dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl and place over a medium saucepan that is filled with a bit of water, say 5cm (2 inches) high or so . You need to ensure the bowl on top will not touch the water below. Place on the stove on medium heat and stir while the chocolate and butter slowly melt. Once completely melted, remove the bowl from the heat and leave to cool slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees (320 F). Next, add the sugar and vanilla to the chocolate mixture and beat with an electric mixer until combined. Add the eggs, one at a time and beat again. Then sift in the flour and beat until the mixture is smooth. Stir through the milk chocolate chips. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and very gently smooth over the top. Place the broken Oreo pieces over the top of the brownie and press down slightly into the mixture.
- Bake the brownie for about 45 minutes or until cooked through. It should start to crack on the edges and no longer wobble in the middle. Leave to cool completely before removing from the tin and cutting into squares. Best served slightly warm with whipped cream or ice cream. The brownies will keep well in an airtight container for 3 days. Just microwave the brownie for 10-15 seconds to serve warm.