Learn how to make Congo Bars from scratch. Buttery chocolate chip cookie bars loaded with choc chips and chunks of chocolate, baked to golden perfection. You won’t be able to stop at one piece!
Congo Bars AKA Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars are the BEST.
You will love these easy cookie bars with their soft, gooey centres and crispy edges – not to mention all the chocolate. And I mean ALL the chocolate.
Life will never be the same once you learn how to make Congo Bars from scratch.
Honestly, I love everything about these Congo Bars. If you love homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies, you’ll fall head over heels for these buttery bars. They taste JUST like a Chocolate Chip Cookie but thicker, chewier and with MORE chocolate.
The best part is the gooey centre AND that crispy crust, OH and the chewy edges. So much to love about these Congo Bars.
To take them to the next level, these bars use both hand cut chocolate and milk chocolate chips. While the chocolate chips will keep their shape when baked, the chopped chocolate will be gooey perfection.
An extra egg yolk helps to make them soft and an extra teaspoon of vanilla gives added flavour. But let’s be real, there is no reason to skimp on chocolate with these Congo Bars – the more, the better.
My tip for making amazing Congo Bars is to under bake them slightly. While you want them firm on the edges, it’s that fudgy centre that’ll make you swoon.
With no need to chill the dough, this is a super simple recipe that comes together in a flash. You Are Welcome.
Buttery chocolate chip cookie bars loaded with chocolate.
- 170 grams (3/4 cup or 1.5 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 135 grams (3/4 cup) brown sugar
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 1 level teaspoon baking powder
- 75 grams (1/2 cup) milk chocolate chips, plus extra for decorating
- 75 grams (1/2 cup) milk or dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- Grease and line an 8-inch square baking tin with baking or parchment paper, ensuring two sides overhang.Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric beater or until pale and creamy. Add vanilla, egg and egg yolk and beat again until combined.
- Sift in flour and baking powder and beat until a soft dough forms. Add chocolate chips and hand cut chocolate and beat again.
- Place dough in prepared pan and spread into one even layer. Sprinkle extra chocolate chips on top.
- Pop into the oven for approximately 30 minutes or until golden brown on top. Leave to cool completely in the tin before removing. Cut into slices and serve.