Buttery chocolate chip cookie bars loaded with chocolate.
- 170 grams (3/4 cup or 1.5 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 135 grams (3/4 cup) brown sugar
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 1 level teaspoon baking powder
- 75 grams (1/2 cup) milk chocolate chips, plus extra for decorating
- 75 grams (1/2 cup) milk or dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- Grease and line an 8-inch square baking tin with baking or parchment paper, ensuring two sides overhang.Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric beater or until pale and creamy. Add vanilla, egg and egg yolk and beat again until combined.
- Sift in flour and baking powder and beat until a soft dough forms. Add chocolate chips and hand cut chocolate and beat again.
- Place dough in prepared pan and spread into one even layer. Sprinkle extra chocolate chips on top.
- Pop into the oven for approximately 30 minutes or until golden brown on top. Leave to cool completely in the tin before removing. Cut into slices and serve.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 249
Keywords: Chocolate chip cookie bars, Congo bars, Congo squares