The magic of shortbread 👆🏻
There is something wonderful about the perfect blend of butter, flour and sugar. And when you take that buttery biscuit and stuff it with chocolate, well, then you’ve got something truly spectacular.
For an easy Christmas treat, you can’t go past these Chocolate Stuffed Shortbread Cookies.
I don’t know why shortbread tastes so good but there’s no denying it. It’s a special cookie and one that shouts the festive season. Last year, I made slice and bake Chocolate Peppermint Shortbread Cookies, and the year before, Dark Chocolate Cranberry Shortbread Cookies.
But this year I wanted to pull out all the stops. So I did what I always do when I want to create something special. I stuffed them with chocolate! 👊🏻
And let me tell you, the result is AMAZING. Buttery melt-in-your-mouth cookies stuffed with whole chunks of milk chocolate. If you eat them while they’re still warm, you end up with the perfect gooey surprise.
Drizzle with a little extra chocolate and you’re done! Honestly, these cookies can be made in about 30 minutes flat. That’s right, you’re only 30 minutes away from having fistfuls of Chocolate Stuffed Shortbread Cookies!
Eeeek! Christmas is only one week away you guys! One WEEK! I only have 5 more days of work left and then it’s Christmas holidays for a week – I’m SO excited. I can’t wait to unplug and have some relaxation time. It’s summer here in Australia, so we plan on heading to the beach as much as we can.
I’ll be back with just another treat or two before Christmas, including an easy make-ahead dessert. I’m also hosting a Christmas baking party this week with a few girlfriends – I’m so excited.
We’re going to listen to Christmas carols, decorate cookies and celebrate all things Christmas. Let the holidays begin!
A buttery shortbread cookie stuffed with milk chocolate!
- 230 grams (1 cup / 2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 65 grams (1/2 cup) icing or powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 280 grams (2 cups) plain flour
- 2 tablespoons cornflour or cornstarch
- 200 grams (1 and 1/3 cup) milk or dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180C (360 F). Line two oven trays with baking or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the butter, sugar and vanilla and beat with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Sift in the flour and cornflour and mix until combined. Pop cookie dough into the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Chop or break apart half chocolate into 16 small squares, reserving the rest for the chocolate drizzle. Wrap a piece of cookie dough around each square of chocolate and roll using your hands into a small ball. Place on prepared trays. Repeat with remaining cookie dough and chocolate. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden on the edges. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Melt the remaining chocolate in the microwave, stirring every 20 seconds, until smooth. Drizzle over cookies.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 184