Baked Cinnamon Sugar Donuts that taste just like their fried counterparts. Light and fluffy cinnamon donuts that are baked in the oven and then rolled in sweet cinnamon sugar.
Did somebody say donuts?
These Baked Cinnamon Sugar Donuts are one of the easiest and tastiest recipes on this blog. Light and fluffy cinnamon donuts baked in the oven and then generously sprinkled with cinnamon sugar.
They’re soft, sweet and simple. And they taste JUST like the fried version.
Cinnamon Donuts always remind me of my childhood. I remember stopping by the donut shop and eagerly watching the fresh donuts going around and around the conveyer belt before landing in a bowl of cinnamon sugar.
Of course, they were fried. But there’s no need to get the deep fryer out for these beauties. Made in the oven, these super easy Baked Cinnamon Sugar Donuts only take 10 minutes to make.
Now I won’t sugarcoat it. These Baked Cinnamon Sugar Donuts are essentially cake – made with butter, sugar and flour. And NO yeast. But they’re soft, buttery and covered in sweet cinnamon.
You’ll want to enjoy them for breakfast, morning tea, afternoon tea and dessert. There’s only one rule when eating cinnamon donuts – they must be eaten warm. There’s nothing quite like a freshly baked donut, especially ones that look as good as these 👇🏻
TIPS FOR MAKING CINNAMON DONUTS
- This is a very simple cake batter. Start by creaming the butter and sugar together using an electric mixer. Then add the vanilla and egg.
- Next comes the dry ingredients, flour, baking powder and soda and a little cinnamon. Add a little milk and you’ll have a soft, sweet cake batter.
- There is no trick to filling the donut pan, I simply spoon the batter in using a teaspoon. My best tip is to not overfill the donut holes – you only need to fill them halfway, as they will rise.
- Once the donuts are ready, brush them lightly with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- The final rule? Eat them warm when they are fresh out of the oven.
How to store cinnamon donuts
- Store the donuts in an airtight container for 2-3 days. But they are best on the day they are made.
Can you freeze cinnamon donuts?
- Yes, but they are best fresh.
More cinnamon recipes
- Cinnabon Cinnamon Rolls
- Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Cinnamon Donut Muffins
- Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls
- Cinnamon Swirl Bundt Cake
- Chocolate Cinnamon Donut Icebox Cake
Baked cinnamon sugar donuts made from scratch.
- 140 grams (1 cup) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 75 grams (1/3 cup) unsalted butter
- 70 grams (1/3 cup) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) milk
Cinnamon sugar topping
- 60 grams (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (360 F). Lightly grease a 9-hole donut pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, beat the butter, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer for 1-2 minutes until combined. Add egg and beat again.
- Add half the flour mixture and half the milk and gently stir, before adding the remaining flour and milk.
- Spoon the donut mixture into each hole of the donut pan . Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and melt the butter. Once the donuts are ready, gently transfer to a wire rack. Using a pastry brush, brush each donut, one at a time, with butter and then generously coat with cinnamon sugar.
- Serving Size: 1 donut
- Calories: 226
Keywords: Donuts, Cinnamon donuts, Baked doughnuts
This recipe was first published on Sweetest Menu in July 2014.