Make your day just a little bit sweeter with these homemade Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls.
Light, fluffy cinnamon spiced bread filled with creamy butter, sweet cinnamon sugar, and small pieces of crunchy apple. The final touch? A smooth drizzle of homemade caramel sauce made with brown sugar, butter and condensed milk.
I know it seems like cinnamon buns can’t get any better but THESE Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls are next level. They are soft and sweet with a little crunch from the apples. But for me? It’s THAT caramel sauce that gets me every time.
Have you ever made cinnamon rolls at home? I know that making bread and using yeast can sometimes be a little intimidating but there is something soothing and rewarding about working with dough.
And this recipe is really quite simple. A little time consuming but I think pulling homemade bread out of the oven, with that sweet aroma hitting the air, is one of my favourite things! And your friends and family will totally be impressed when you pull these Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls out of the oven!
I actually adapted this recipe from my Hot Cross Buns recipe – is anyone else hanging out for hot cross bun season? Once you create the dough, you need to let it proof for about an hour. This is fun because you can watch it grow – it will almost double in size.
Then you knock the air out of your dough, roll it out and add your filling. I used a sweet mix of brown sugar, caster sugar and cinnamon. Then you sprinkle over some delicious pieces of apple. Finally, it’s time to drizzle over some seriously irresistible (and EASY) caramel sauce made with brown sugar.
All in all, these rolls, while a little more time consuming, are totally worth it. Cinnamon, apple and caramel are a match made in heaven. And you will love this caramel recipe. Instead of using white sugar, butter and cream, this caramel is made with brown sugar and condensed milk.
It produces a thick, rich caramel that is easy to eat straight with a spoon. But it goes PERFECTLY on these rolls. It is lathered inside the rolls and also smothered all over the top while they are still warm. I just can’t even! These rolls would also make for the perfect celebration breakfast, don’t you think?
Light and fluffy Homemade Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls filled with sweet cinnamon sugar, crunchy apple pieces and drizzles of homemade caramel sauce.
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) warm water
- 2 and 1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) milk
- 60 grams (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 560 grams (4 cups) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 180 grams (1 cup) brown sugar
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter
- 160 ml (2/3 cup) sweetened condensed milk
- Pinch of salt
Cinnamon apple filling
- 60 grams (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 45 grams (1/4 cup) brown sugar
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (approximately 2 medium apples), peeled and finely chopped
- Add your warm water to a small bowl and sprinkle the yeast over the top and set aside. Add your sugar and salt to a large mixing bowl. Then, add your milk and butter to a small saucepan and pop on a low heat, to warm the milk and melt the butter. Meanwhile, add two cups (280 grams) of flour to a large bowl and 1 and 3/4 cups (245 grams) to another bowl (leaving 1/4 cup for dusting when kneading the dough). To the two cups of flour, add the cinnamon.
- Once the butter is melted, remove the milk from the heat. If it is hot to the touch, leave to cool for a minute or two. You want the milk warm but you should be able to stick your finger in there without it burning. Also check that your yeast has reacted and started to bubble a little on the edges.
- To make the dough, add the eggs and milk mixture to your sugar and salt. Whisk gently or stir with spoon just to combine. Then add your first batch of flour (with the cinnamon) and start to mix the mixture using a dough hook. Then add your yeast mixture, water and all, and continue to mix. Finally add the rest of your flour, a spoonful or two at a time until a nice soft dough forms. Once the dough comes together, remove it from the bowl and place it on a lightly floured bench and knead it by hand for 2 minutes or so until it is soft and smooth. Add a little flour to the bench if its a little sticky but not too much as we want the dough to be nice and light.
- Then bring your dough into a ball and place in a large mixing bowl that has been greased well with butter or a little vegetable oil. Cover with cling wrap and leave to rise for at least 1 hour – it should double in size.
- While the dough is rising, make the caramel. Place the brown sugar, butter and condensed milk in a medium saucepan and place on a low-medium heat. Stir gently until all the ingredients have combined and continue to cook for a few minutes until the caramel thickens and the sugar is completely melted. Add a pinch of salt. Set aside to cool.
- Next, gently push the air out of your dough using your fist. Then take the dough out of the bowl and knead gently for a minute before rolling the dough out into a large rectangle. Smear the softened butter all over the dough using a butter knife. Combine the sugars and cinnamon and then sprinkle all over the butter. Then add the chopped apple. Finally, spoon over approximately 1/3 cup of your homemade caramel sauce over the top.
- Roll up your dough, along the long end, then cut the rolls using a sharp knife. Grease two 9 inch pie plates with a little butter and then carefully place 6 rolls into each one. Cover with cling wrap and leave to rise for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (360 F). Pop the rolls into the oven for approximately 18-20 minutes or until golden brown on top. The rolls are best served on the day they are made.
- Serving Size: 1 roll
- Calories: 499
Keywords: Rolls, Cinnamon, Apple, Caramel, Christmas