Deliciously fudgy Almond Joy Coconut Brownie Bars perfect for sharing. Topped with creamy coconut, roasted almonds and milk chocolate, these brownies are a truly decadent dessert.
Raise your hands if you’re a coconut lover!
Well you, my friend, are the prime candidate for these brownie bars. Extra fudgy dark chocolate brownies topped with a sweet coconut filling, a scattering of roasted almonds and a layer of smooth milk chocolate – what’s not to love?
This is my ode to the American candy bar, the Almond Joy.
I took these brownies to work and received raving reviews. It’s alway nice when that happens because then I know for sure, that they’re as good as I thought they were.
We’ve taken the beloved brownie to a whole other level. They are super fudgy with chewy edges, while the coconut is fresh and creamy, then there’s the crunch of roasted almonds and the smooth coating of milk chocolate. Yes please.
I just love American candy. My friend recently returned from the states and bought me back a bucketload of American chocolate bars, which only took me a few days to devour. But one of them was the Almond Joy.
For those fellow Aussies out there, Almond Joys are almost identical to a Bounty bar but with roasted almonds atop the coconut and beneath the chocolate coating – it’s brilliant.
However, if you would like to make these nut free, you can simply leave the almonds out, they will still be magical because THAT coconut filling is insanely good.
Extra fudgy dark chocolate brownies topped with sweet coconut, roasted almonds and a layer of milk chocolate.
Dark chocolate brownie
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, chopped
- 200 grams (1 and 1/3 cup) good quality dark chocolate, pieces
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 85 grams (2/3 cup) plain flour
- 2 cups (140 grams) shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup (65 grams) icing or powdered sugar
- 240 ml (1 cup) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (40 grams) roasted almonds
- 1 cup (150 grams) good quality milk chocolate
- Preheat oven to 180 C (360 F). Grease and line an 8 inch square tin with baking or parchment paper, ensuring two sides of the paper overhang.
- Place butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl and heat in the microwave until smooth and creamy. Leave to cool slightly.
- Add sugars and vanilla to the chocolate mixture and stir until combined. Add eggs, one at a time and mix again. Sift in flour and mix until smooth. Pour brownie batter into prepared tin. Very gently smooth the top.
- Bake brownie for about 30-35 minutes or until cooked through. It should have a nice cracked top and no longer wobble in the middle. Leave to cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, add coconut, sugar, sweetened condensed milk and vanilla and gently fold together. Once the coconut is nice and wet, spread the mixture over the cooled brownie to form an even layer. Press roasted almonds on top. Place brownie in fridge for 15 minutes.
- Melt milk chocolate in the microwave, stirring in between 20 second bursts. Once the chocolate is completely melted, pour over the coconut, ensuring it covers the entire brownie. Then pop brownie back into the fridge and leave it to set for at least two hours.
- Cut into small squares with a sharp knife to serve. To prevent the chocolate from cracking, dip the knife in boiling water and wipe dry with a paper towel in between each cut.
Keywords: Almond Joy Brownies, Coconut Brownies
This recipe was first published on Sweetest Menu in September 2015.