I’ve been watching the show Cupcake Wars (America + cupcakes = winning) this weekend so it seems fitting that today’s recipe is a cupcake! These Mint Chocolate Cupcakes are heavenly for anyone who would call themselves a choc mint lover.
They begin with a soft and fluffy chocolate cake piled high with creamy mint buttercream topped with a chocolate mint cookie. They are sweet but not too sweet, with a little crunch from the cookie and the perfect hint of mint throughout.
After making my easy no churn Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream I knew I wasn’t the only mint fan around here. So it was only a matter of time until another mint chocolate treat came out of the Sweetest Menu kitchen.
What I love most about these delicious cupcakes is they are actually really easy to make. There’s no complicated fillings or frostings, just a simple chocolate cake and an easy mint flavoured buttercream. Yet they are still striking and will be a welcome addition to any dessert table.
How was your weekend? My husband is in exam-mode so he has his head in the books, while I am spending most of my time in the kitchen. Yesterday’s creation had me dancing for joy, I look forward to sharing that one with you very soon.
I also can’t believe it’s only two months until Christmas – how did THAT happen? Please let me know if there are any Christmas treats and desserts you would like to see on Sweetest Menu this year. I am currently dreaming of gingerbread houses, chocolate crinkle cookies and egg nog flavoured-everything.
Fluffy chocolate cupcakes topped with creamy mint frosting and a chocolate mint cookie.
- 105 grams (3/4 cup) plain flour
- 20 grams (1/4 cup) cocoa powder
- 20 grams (1/4 cup) dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 45 grams (1/4 cup) brown sugar
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) buttermilk
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 435 grams (3 and 1/2 cups) icing or powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon peppermint or mint extract
- A few drops of green food colouring
- 6 whole mint chocolate cookie or biscuit, cut in half
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with patty cases.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powders, baking soda, baking powder and then add the sugars – give it a stir. Pop the butter into the microwave for a short burst, 10 seconds or so at a time, until it is JUST melted. Give it a stir with a fork to eliminate any lumps.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add the eggs, vanilla and butter and whisk together until smooth. Then add the wet mixture into the dry mixture, along with the buttermilk and gently fold until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared patty cases and pop into the oven. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until just cooked through. Set cakes out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- To make the mint buttercream frosting, add the butter to a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until pale and creamy. Gently sift in the icing sugar, one cup at a time. Add a tablespoon or two of milk to help loosen up the mixture. Add the mint extract and continue to beat.
- Add a tablespoon of milk if needed. The icing should be nice and creamy but thick enough to hold its shape. Add in your green food colouring (optional) until it reaches your desired colour. Pipe the icing onto the cupcakes using a piping bag and a large star tip. Top each cupcake with half a chocolate mint cookie.
For tips on piping check out my cupcake frosting post HERE.