Hi friends! It’s Monday morning here in Aus and I’m up early to share this delicious recipe with you before I head off to work. That right there, is my new favourite dessert. Snickers Chocolate Meringues or little chocolate pavlovas.
These decadent treats are so easy but seriously impressive, right? Light and fluffy chocolate meringues, topped with freshly whipped chocolate cream, followed by chunky pieces of Snickers and drizzles of dark chocolate and peanut butter. I can’t get enough! They are such a treat for Snickers fans.
Have you heard of pavlova before? It’s a favourite over here and is usually made with meringue that is topped with whipped cream and fresh fruits or berries. It often makes an appearance at the dessert table for Christmas.
But if you’ve been around here for long, you’ll know I am ALL about American-themed recipes. So I gave these individual meringues a little American twist – namely, Snickers and peanut butter. Honestly, I wish I had done this sooner because I have stumbled upon a little slice of heaven.
Lately, I have been really loving using egg whites in my baking. They are so versatile and I love how voluminous they can become. I really enjoyed making my High Hat Chocolate Cupcakes with homemade marshmallow fluff a few weeks ago and these meringues were also a joy to make.
The meringues themselves only need two ingredients! I also swirled through a few tablespoons of cocoa for a touch of chocolate. Once you finish making the meringues, it really only takes a few minutes to throw this dessert together. Enjoy!
Light and fluffy chocolate meringues, topped with whipped chocolate cream, Snickers bars, dark chocolate and peanut butter.
- 4 egg whites
- 200 grams (1 cup) caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon dutch processed cocoa
- 480 ml (2 cups) thickened or heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons dutch processed cocoa
- 3 tablespoons icing or powdered sugar
- 200 grams (1 and 1/2 cup) Snickers bars, chopped
- 75 grams (1/2 cup) good quality dark chocolate
- 60 grams (1/4 cup) smooth peanut butter
- To make the meringues, line two baking trays with baking or parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 150 C (300 F). Add your egg whites into a large mixing bowl or the bowl of your standing mixer. Beat on low for a minute or two until the egg whites start to turn white and foamy, then turn up to medium and until soft peaks form. At this stage, continue to beat and slowly add in your sugar, just one tablespoon at a time. Once all the sugar has been added, your mixture should be stiff and glossy and almost tripled in volume.
- Once the egg whites have formed stiff peaks, spoon your meringue mixture onto your baking trays. I do three per tray. Try and make all the meringue mounds a similar size. Then pop in the oven for 30 minutes. Turn the oven off and leave the meringues inside for 2-3 hours. This will help them to slowly cool and will reduce any cracks. Then remove from the oven and store in an airtight container until you are ready to decorate.
- Next, add your cream into a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until the cream is whipped. Sift in the cocoa powder and icing sugar and gently fold through. Then spread a generous amount of cream onto each meringue. Top with chopped snickers. Then melt your chocolate in the microwave, stirring in between 10 second bursts, and drizzle over the top. Microwave your peanut butter for 20 seconds or until it is loose enough to drizzle and add it also to your meringues. Enjoy!
If you don’t have dutch processed cocoa on hand, just use regular cocoa powder.
Keywords: Chocolate, Meringues, Snickers, Cream, Pavlova