Prep: 60 minutesCook: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutes
Fluffy chocolate cupcakes topped with creamy mint frosting and a chocolate mint cookie.
- 105 grams (3/4 cup) plain flour
- 20 grams (1/4 cup) cocoa powder
- 20 grams (1/4 cup) dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 45 grams (1/4 cup) brown sugar
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) buttermilk
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 435 grams (3 and 1/2 cups) icing or powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon peppermint or mint extract
- A few drops of green food colouring
- 6 whole mint chocolate cookie or biscuit, cut in half
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with patty cases.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powders, baking soda, baking powder and then add the sugars – give it a stir. Pop the butter into the microwave for a short burst, 10 seconds or so at a time, until it is JUST melted. Give it a stir with a fork to eliminate any lumps.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add the eggs, vanilla and butter and whisk together until smooth. Then add the wet mixture into the dry mixture, along with the buttermilk and gently fold until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared patty cases and pop into the oven. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until just cooked through. Set cakes out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- To make the mint buttercream frosting, add the butter to a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until pale and creamy. Gently sift in the icing sugar, one cup at a time. Add a tablespoon or two of milk to help loosen up the mixture. Add the mint extract and continue to beat.
- Add a tablespoon of milk if needed. The icing should be nice and creamy but thick enough to hold its shape. Add in your green food colouring (optional) until it reaches your desired colour. Pipe the icing onto the cupcakes using a piping bag and a large star tip. Top each cupcake with half a chocolate mint cookie.
For tips on piping check out my cupcake frosting post HERE.
Category: DessertCuisine: American