Meet my favourite Easy Eton Mess recipe. This no bake gluten free dessert is a deliciously messy mix of fresh strawberries and raspberries, whipped cream and crunchy meringue.
Eton Mess AKA the best dessert ever ❤️
You are going to love this simple no bake dessert made from fresh strawberries, whipped cream and crispy meringue. It’s a creamy, crunchy treat that anyone can make!
Make the most of strawberry season and whip up my best ever Eton Mess.
Eton Mess will always have a special place in my heart because it’s one of the first desserts I ever learnt to make. You only need a handful of ingredients but it always tastes amazing – and your dinner guests will think you’re a master in the kitchen.
If you’ve ever tried pavlova – a dessert staple here in Australia – you will fall head over heels for Eton Mess. It’s basically a deconstructed pav – but it’s SO much easier and quicker to make.
So the foundation to a tasty Eton Mess is the fresh fruit. Typically, Eton Mess uses strawberries, but I also love to throw in some fresh raspberries too – if they’re in season. If you don’t have raspberries, just add a few extra strawberries.
First, we throw a little bit of sugar on the chopped fruit and set it aside to let those juices really flow. Meanwhile you can start whipping your cream. I prefer doing this by hand instead of buying pre-whipped cream – it always tastes better!
Whip it by hand or use an electric mixer until soft peaks form. But why stop there? I love to add a little mascarpone cheese (just like my Lemon Ricotta Cake) to the whipped cream to help cut through the sweetness and add a little tang. If you don’t have any, you could use a little greek yogurt or sour cream instead.
Then it’s time to add some crunchy meringues. Since I’m always making Eton Mess when I’m short on time, I often buy premade meringues. They work just fine and make this recipe extra quick and easy.
My only tip, is to make this recipe right before serving. Otherwise the meringues tend to just disappear and melt in the cream. And you want to make sure you have that crispy, crunchy meringue in every bite!
Finally, it’s the fun part! Stir together the beautiful fruit, whipped cream and meringue. You’ll end up with a colourful, creamy display that’ll make you weak at the knees. Top with a few extra strawberries and dessert is served.
This is the ultimate, easy dessert for those that love pavlova and trifles and think whipped cream is God’s gift to the world. YOU ARE WELCOME.
An easy no bake dessert made with fresh strawberries, whipped cream and meringue.
- 500 grams (3 and 1/2 cups) fresh strawberries, plus extra for serving
- 125 grams (1 cup) fresh raspberries, plus extra for serving
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 360 ml (1 and 1/2 cups) thickened or heavy cream
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) mascarpone cheese*
- 70 grams (2 cups) store bought meringues
- Quarter and hull strawberries and place in a large bowl. Add raspberries. Sprinkle over sugar and stir until all the fruit is coated. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whip cream using an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Stir through mascarpone cheese.
- Crush meringues, using your hands. In a large bowl, gently fold together the fruit, whipped cream and crushed meringue.
- Serve Eton Mess in individuals bowls, and top with extra fresh fruit.
*If you don’t have mascarpone cheese, you can use a thick greek yoghurt or sour cream.