My latest obsession = brownie bark.
You guys, I can’t even. I CAN’T EVEN. This Chewy Chocolate M&M Brownie Bark is my new best friend. Crispy and chewy at the same time (how is that even possible?) with a gorgeous chocolate flavour, this brownie bark is finished with drizzles of melted chocolate and plenty of M&M’s.
I never would have thought that a thin brownie would be that exciting, but IT IS. It is so moist and under baked in parts but has crisp edges, not to mention the crunchy M&M candy. You need this in your life.
I recently spent a Friday night testing this recipe and by the end of it I was on a sugar high. All in the name of recipe testing of course. I tried making brownie bark using real chocolate like I do in most of my brownie recipes, I tried egg yolks, egg whites, more sugar, less sugar, butter versus oil and then finally – brownie bark perfection.
I really wanted a thin and chewy brownie. I know some would prefer their bark on the crisp side but I didn’t want a dry brownie, I want something reminiscent of the gooey brownie that we all know and love. But I also wanted it to be able to hold its shape. This, friends, is my ultimate brownie bark.
And yes it is Christmas themed because Christmas is just 5 weeks away! But you can of course eat this Chewy Chocolate M&M Brownie Bark all year long. I know at least I will be. It’s so easy to throw together and there is nothing complicated about this recipe. You don’t even need to get out an electric mixer!
Brownie bark also makes for the sweetest gift for friends and family and fellow chocoholics. I just have to warn you that you may want to make it twice, one for you, one for them. Otherwise things could get awkward.
Another advantage of this recipe is that the brownie only takes roughly 15 minutes to cook – which means it is much much faster to make then a regular brownie. So now you can cure those late night brownie cravings more easily. You are welcome!
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do! If you prefer a more crunchy texture, you can bake this brownie bark for just a little bit longer. Either way, it’s delicious – you’ve been warned! 😉
Chewy Chocolate M&M Brownie Bark that’s crispy and chewy at the same time, with drizzles of melted chocolate and M&M candy.
- 1 egg white
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 60 grams (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 20 grams (1/4 cup) cocoa powder
- 70 grams (1/2 cup) plain flour
- 75 grams (1/2 cup) chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 100 grams (2/3 cup) dark or milk melting chocolate
- 150 grams (1 cup) M&M candy
- Line an oven tray with baking or parchment paper. Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the egg white and sugar and whisk together until smooth, approximately 1 minute or so. Then add your vanilla and mix again. Then add your melted butter and mix again.
- Sift in your cocoa powder and flour and gently stir until a chocolate batter forms. Throw in your chocolate chips. Finally, add the milk and vegetable oil and stir gently until smooth.
- Pour your brownie batter onto your prepared tray and spread out to form a large rectangle. Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes (15 minutes for a more chewy bark, 20 for a more crisp bark). Leave to cool completely.
- Melt your chocolate in the microwave, stirring in between 15 second bursts, until smooth. Drizzle your chocolate over your bark, press your M&M candy on top while the chocolate is warm. Leave for 10-15 minutes for the chocolate to set, then cut into slices.