You’ll love these buttery Chai Spiced Blondies made from scratch. Made with butter and brown sugar and a handful of spices like cinnamon and ginger, these cookie bars are packed full of flavour.
If you love drinking chai lattes, these Chai Spiced Blondies are for you!
Buttery blondies filled to the brim with gorgeous spices, like cinnamon, ginger, cloves and cardamom. They taste exactly like a chai latte but in cookie form.
The mix of warm spices AND their soft and chewy texture means these Chai Spiced Blondies need to be next on your baking list.
Chai lattes are my drink of choice. There’s just something about the sweet combination of warm milk and aromatic spices. But what’s even better than good chai latte? A good chai latte BLONDIE. 💕
Beautiful Chai Spiced Blondies that have a deliciously soft texture with a mix of spices infused into the bars themselves.
These Chai Spiced Blondies boast almost a soft caramel flavour, thanks to the creaming of the brown sugar, and taste like a soft and buttery cookie.
A beautiful mix of cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and cloves mean not only do they taste lovely, but they smell absolutely incredible.
Do you like gingerbread? Tasting a little bit like gingerbread, these blondies remind me of Christmas. And Christmas treats in April? I’m ok with that 👌🏻
Most blondie recipes call for melted butter, like my White Chocolate and Raspberry Blondies. Using melted butter makes a very moist blondie, but these blondies use the creaming method, beating the butter and sugar until smooth and creamy, making them more reminiscent of a cookie.
That means these Chai Spiced Blondies have a similar texture to a cookie bar and go perfectly with a cup of tea, coffee or a chai latte. Just know that it’s almost impossible to stop at just one.
HOW TO MAKE CHAI SPICED BLONDIES FROM SCRATCH
- Start with room temperature butter – this will make it easier to combine the butter and sugar together. Use an electric mixer to beat together the butter and brown sugar until pale and creamy. Then add a couple of teaspoons of vanilla and an egg for moisture.
- Next comes the flour and a handful of spices, including cinnamon, ginger, cloves and cardamom. Beat again briefly until a soft cookie dough forms. Transfer mixture to a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake the blondies until golden on the edges, and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. I prefer to slightly under bake my blondies so the cookies are soft and chewy in the middle.
- Once cooled, cut the blondies into squares and serve with a cup of tea or a cold glass of milk. If you’re like me, you’ll especially love the chewy edges.
Homemade Chai Blondies filled with warm spices.
- 170 grams (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 180 grams (1 cup) brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cup) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Grease and line an 8-inch square baking tray with baking or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar using an electric beater until combined – be generous as this will help develop that lovely buttery caramel flavour, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Add your vanilla and egg and mix again until combined. Add flour, along with all the spices and beat briefly until a soft cookie dough forms.
- Transfer mixture to your prepared baking tin, spreading out to make one even layer. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Leave in tin to cool completely.
This recipe was first published on Sweetest Menu in April 2016.