I had three very ripe bananas sitting in our fruit bowl, which meant it was banana bread time. I hate eating over ripe bananas but they are the perfect ingredient for moist cakes and muffins. So I decided to make myself a big loaf of tasty Banana Sultana Coconut Bread.
This recipe couldn’t be easier to put together and it is spot on. The addition of yogurt ensures it’s lovely and soft and not dry in the slightest. Slathered with honey or butter, this loaf is truly scrumptious! And another plus, it freezes really well.
You can add all kinds of fix-ins too. I added sultanas but you can add raisins, pecans, walnuts or chocolate chips. Whatever you fancy my friend! Empty out that pantry!
Buttery banana bread filled with sultanas and coconut.
- 175 grams (1 and 1/4 cup) plain flour
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut, plus extra for topping
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup sultanas
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 150 grams (1/2 cup) greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large overripe bananas
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Grease and line a 8 x 4 inch loaf tin with baking or parchment paper, ensuring two sides overhang.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, coconut, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder and the sultanas together.
- In a separate bowl, add the oil, egg, yogurt and vanilla and lightly whisk. Mash the bananas well with a fork. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, along with the mashed banana and gently fold until just combined.
- Pour into the prepared tray, sprinkle with a little shredded coconut and bake for approximately 35-40 minutes to an hour or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
*At the 30 minute mark, I covered my loaf with a piece of alfoil to ensure the top didn’t brown too much while the inside was still cooking.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 254
Keywords: Banana, Bread, Coconut