Hellooo smore-ry goodness! This three layer Smores Chocolate Meringue Cake is going to take you to smores heaven! We are talking one over-the-top creamy, crunchy, sticky, chewy dessert!
There’s three layers of crispy chocolate meringue, covered in thick, velvety chocolate cream, sprinkled with crushed graham crackers and topped with toasty roasted marshmallows – can you EVEN?
I’ve been brainstorming smores treats for weeks now. I have lamented to you before that we can’t buy graham crackers in Australia but every so often they do pop up at a specialty store.
My friend from work found some and popped them on my desk for my birthday last month #bestgiftever. Ever since then I have been wanting to put them to good use and make something smores-ish.
And voila, the Smores Chocolate Meringue Layer Cake was born.
So let’s take a look at this cake. First there’s chewy meringue, lightly flavoured with a little cocoa powder. Then there’s a layer of chocolate cream. Just LOOK at that chocolate cream! It’s made using real dark chocolate and whipped cream so it’s downright delicious – and SO easy.
After you smother on the chocolate, its time for a handful of graham cracker crumbs. These will add a lovely crunch! Then, scatter over plenty of toasted marshmallows. This continues until you end up with a three layer smores masterpiece!
Half the fun of making this cake is assembling it. You can really just go all out. And the best part is every mouthwatering bite will be filled with all the textures and flavours of smores.
If you love smores, (I mean who can resist the perfect combo of chocolate, marshmallow and graham crackers?) this is the dessert for you. It has all the goodness of traditional smores but with pillowy meringues – yes please!
Smores Chocolate Meringue Layer Cake with three layers of chocolate meringue, covered in chocolate cream, crushed graham crackers and toasted marshmallows
- 6 large egg whites
- 300 grams (1 and 1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 1–2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 150 grams (1 cup) dark chocolate, pieces
- 600 ml (2 and 1/2 cups) thickened or heavy cream
- 50 grams (1 cup / 4 sheets) graham crackers, crushed
- 240 grams (3 cups) marshmallows
- To make the meringues, line three baking trays with baking or parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 150 C (300 F). Add your egg whites into a large mixing bowl or the bowl of your standing mixer. Beat on low for a minute or two until the egg whites start to turn white and foamy, then turn up to medium and until soft peaks form. At this stage, continue to beat and slowly add in your sugar, just one tablespoon at a time. Once all the sugar has been added, continue to beat your mixture until it is stiff and glossy and almost tripled in volume.
- Once the egg whites have formed stiff peaks, gently fold through the cocoa powder. Then spoon out your meringue mixture onto your baking trays, dividing it into three. Spread each meringue into a large circle and try and make all the meringue mounds a similar size. Then pop in the oven for 35 minutes. Turn the oven off and leave the meringues inside for 2-3 hours. This will help them to slowly cool and will reduce any cracks. Then remove from the oven and store in an airtight container until you are ready to decorate.
- Next chop your dark chocolate into small chunks and place into a bowl. Then heat 1 cup of your cream in a small saucepan on a medium-low heat until it is warm (do not boil), then pour over your dark chocolate and leave it for about 2-3 minutes. Then whisk your dark chocolate mixture until it is smooth. Leave it to cool for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile start whipping the remaining 1 and 1/2 cups of cream until it resembles stiff peaks. Then fold your whipped cream into your chocolate mixture very gently until fully incorporated. Refrigerate the chocolate cream for an hour or two until it thickens slightly.
- When you are ready to assemble your cake, place all your marshmallows out onto a tray or plate. To toast them, either use a blow torch to lightly brown them until they go lovely and melty or pop them in the oven under the grill or broiler until golden brown.
- To assemble, place one meringue layer onto your serving plate. Then add one third of the chocolate cream and smear it over the top. Add a handful of crushed graham cracker crumbs. Then scatter over a few toasted marshmallows. Then add the next meringue and repeat with the chocolate cream, graham crackers and more marshmallows. Finally, add the last meringue layer and add a final topping of chocolate cream, graham crackers and a few more marshmallows.
This cake is best enjoyed as soon as it is assembled when the marshmallows are still toasty and warm.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 470
Keywords: Chocolate, Smores, Meringue, Marshmallow, Cream, Dessert