It’s time to break out the skillet because today we are talking all things cake. Oh and I have NEWS.
Have you been on the hunt for a sweet brunch treat? One that can be whipped up in no time? Well I have the cake for you. This Lemon Strawberry Skillet Cake boasts a soft, tender crumb with a hint of lemony tang and a whole host of fresh strawberries. Sweet fruity goodness.
I know what you’re thinking. Where’s the chocolate? Well in a surprising twist, today, I’ve put away the Oreos, Nutella and marshmallows and instead created a sweet fruity treat. One that you could even eat for breakfast – if cake in the morning is your thing.
You can justify this cake for breakfast because it is not overly sweet but sweet enough to satisfy those cake cravings. And thanks to the skillet, the cake develops a super golden brown crust that contrasts beautifully with the soft, fluffy interior.
Because the flavours are so simple, I think this cake is the true essence of a good cake. Crumbly and buttery with a subtle hint of lemon and a burst of freshness from the ripe strawberries. My favourite way to enjoy a slice is with a dollop of creamy mascarpone cheese. Hello brunch!
Sooo there’s a shake up happening here at Sweetest Menu HQ (drum roll please), my husband and I are moving to Sydney!!! And we are beyond excited. We can’t wait to explore a new city, especially one that has ALL THE FOOD.
Ok, ok, I know there’s more to a city than food but I already have my food list started. I’m so excited for all the inspo! If you have any foodie recommendations, please send them my way.
In preparation for the big day, we are currently doing all the things – apartment hunting, packing, job hunting and basically counting down the days. OH and figuring out how to survive a 12-hour road trip with our cat, Henry, who hates being in the car. Let the good times roll!
This Lemon Strawberry Skillet Cake boasts a soft, tender crumb with a hint of lemony tang and a whole host of fresh strawberries. Sweet fruity goodness.
- 115 grams (1/2 cup / 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 140 grams (1 cup) plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 250 grams (1 cup) fresh strawberries
- Mascarpone cheese, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (360 F). Lightly grease the bottom and sides of an 8 inch skillet with a little butter. In a large mixing bowl, add your butter and sugar and beat with an electric mixer for a few minutes until it is pale and creamy. Add the vanilla and the egg and beat again, scrapping down the sides if needed.
- Sift in the plain flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Gently start to fold the dry mixture into the wet, and slowly add the milk and lemon juice. Once the batter is smooth and mixed together (try not to over mix), pour the mixture into the skillet. Chop your strawberries into thin slices, and place them carefully over the top of your cake. Bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until a skewer insert comes out clean. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 slice of cake
- Calories: 308
Keywords: Lemon, Cake, Skillet, Strawberry