Learn how to make thick and chewy Potato Chip Chocolate Chip Cookies. These buttery cookies are filled with sweet chocolate chips and salty potato chips for the ultimate sweet and salty treat!
I put crushed salty potato chips in my cookies. The result? Sweet and salty goodness.
It may sound a little strange but honestly, you probably wouldn’t even realise what was IN your cookie if I didn’t tell you.
Crushed by hand, the potato chips blend into the dough so well and the saltiness simply enhances the sweet flavour of the cookie dough. They add a little crunch and make for an addictive and crumbly cookie.
If you need a chocolate pick-me-up to help you roll into the weekend, I urge you to give these cookies a try. Gooey chocolate chips and salty potato chips stuffed into sweet buttery cookie dough? Yes please !
And it’s a great way to use that stray bag of potato chips in the back of the cupboard.
You could also throw in whatever chocolate chips you fancy. I’ve been on a dark chocolate kick lately – seriously can NOT get enough. Personally, I think dark or semi-sweet chocolate meshes really well with the salty potato crisps.
I’m certainly not the first person to put potato chips in my cookies. Milk Bar in New York have a famous Compost Cookie that is loaded with more than one unusual ingredient. Their cookie has potato chips, pretzels, coffee, rolled oats, chocolate chips and butterscotch chips. That is one LOADED cookie.
Now you can see that these are not quite that outrageous. And if you think of how chocolate covered potato chips are all the rage, they really do make perfect sense!
Chocolate Chip Cookies filled with salty potato chips.
- 115 grams (1 stick or 1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cold
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, cold
- 245 grams (1 and 3/4 cup) plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 110 grams (3/4 cup) chocolate chips
- 60 grams (1 cup) salted potato chips, crushed
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the butter and sugars and beat using an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Add egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add the flour and baking soda and mix until soft cookie dough forms. Add chocolate chips and crushed potato chips and mix through.
- Roll teaspoons of the mixture into balls and place on the baking trays, leaving room for the cookies to flatten out. Place in oven for 12 minutes or until golden brown on the edges.
- Leave to cool for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.