I put crushed salty potato chips in my cookies. The result? Sweet and salty goodness. It may sound a little strange but honestly, you probably wouldn’t even realise what was IN your cookie if I didn’t tell you.
Crushed by hand, the potato chips blend into the dough so well and the saltiness simply enhances the sweet flavour of the cookie dough. They add a little crunch and make for an addictive and crumbly cookie. I think I’ve found my new favourite sweet and salty treat (and an excuse to eat potato chips)!
If you need a chocolate pick-me-up to help you roll into the weekend, I urge you to give these cookies a try. Gooey chocolate chips and salty potato chips stuffed into sweet buttery cookie dough? Yes please ! And it’s a great way to use that stray bag of potato chips in the back of the cupboard.
You could also throw in whatever chocolate chips you fancy. I’ve been on a dark chocolate kick lately – seriously can NOT get enough. Personally, I think dark or semi-sweet chocolate meshes really well with the salty potato crisps.
I’m certainly not the first person to put potato chips in my cookies. Momofuku Milk Bar in New York have a famous Compost Cookie that is loaded with more than one unusual ingredient. Their cookie has potato chips, pretzels, coffee, rolled oats, chocolate chips and butterscotch chips. That is one LOADED cookie.
Now you can see that these are not quite that outrageous. And if you think of how chocolate covered potato chips are all the rage, they really do make perfect sense!
How is your week going? It’s Thursday over here which means the weekend is looming and I’m pretty happy about it. I have been brainstorming Easter recipes like mad and am excited to get creative in the kitchen in the coming weeks. Remember these Easter Egg Cookie Dough Truffles from last year?
And this cookie cake? I just love Easter baking. What do you usually eat this time of year? We love our hot cross buns and anything chocolate. Give me a shout out if there are special Easter-themed treats you would like to see on Sweetest Menu.
Potato Chip Chocolate Chip Cookies
Potato Chip Chocolate Chip Cookies stuffed with gooey chocolate chips and salty potato chips.
- Yield: Makes 14-16 cookies
- 115 grams (1 stick or 1/2 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cup) plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 75 grams (1/2 cup) chocolate chips, crushed, plus extra for decorating
- 30 grams (1/2 cup) original salted potato chips, plus extra for decorating
- Line two baking trays with baking paper. In a large mixing bowl, add the butter and sugars and beat using an electric beater for a minute or two until smooth and creamy. Add the egg and the vanilla and beat until combined, scrapping down the sides. Add the sifted flour, baking soda and cornflour and stir using a wooden spoon. Add the chocolate chips and crushed potato chips and mix through.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (360 F). Roll teaspoons of the mixture into balls and place on the baking trays, leaving room for the cookies to flatten out. Place in oven for 9-10 minutes or until golden brown on the edges and still soft and gooey in the middle. While they are still warm, add a few extra chocolate chips on top and a few extra potato chips. Leave to cool for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.