Peanut butter and chocolate, is there anything better? I LOVE this delightful combination. Today, our peanut butter chocolate treat comes in the form of a cupcake. Buttery soft peanut butter cake topped with swirls of chocolate buttercream and finally, a gooey Reese’s peanut butter cup.
It makes all my peanut butter dreams come true. These cupcakes are so easy and will impress all the peanut butter lovers in your life. Make these for your next party and all your friends will love you forever.
I can thank America for introducing me to the wonder of chocolate and peanut butter. While you might have been eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches growing up, I was the kid eating vegemite sandwiches for breakfast, lunch and tea.
I know that Vegemite is quite an acquired taste and if you haven’t grown up eating it, you will most likely think it’s disgusting. It is entirely salty for one. But I always loved it as a kid and happily had vegemite toast for breakfast and a vegemite sandwich for lunch.
Then I grew up and realised there were far more exciting dishes to eat than vegemite. Once I went back to eat it years later, I didn’t like it so much anymore. I have since moved on to something bigger and better – peanut butter. Definitely the favourite spread in our household now.
And one of my favourite ways to use peanut butter is in my baking. From Peanut Butter and Jelly Chocolate Cups to Loaded Oreo Peanut Butter Bars but these Peanut Butter Cup Cupcakes really are something special.
The cake is truly light and fluffy with a rich peanut butter flavour and the chocolate buttercream is the perfect frosting. Top it all off with a peanut butter cup and you have one decadent and delicious peanut butter treat. I hope you had a great weekend! We had a black out on Friday night so ended up heading out for dinner.
Hands up who else is lost without electricity? No laptops, no stove tops, no oven – no good for a food blogger! But we got electricity back within a few hours and I am pretty excited about a few new recipes that came out of our kitchen this weekend, so stay tuned!
Soft peanut butter cupcakes topped with swirls of chocolate buttercream.
Peanut butter cupcakes
- 115 grams (1 stick or 1/2 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 135 grams (3/4 cup) brown sugar
- 125 grams (1/2 cup) smooth peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 140 grams (1 cup) plain flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) milk
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 100 grams (2/3 cups) dark chocolate
- 375 grams (3 cups) icing or powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 6 large peanut butter cups or 12 mini ones
- Line a 12-hole muffin tray with cupcake liners. Preheat oven to 180 C (360 F).
- In a large mixing bowl, add butter and sugar and beat with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy, stopping to scrap down the sides of the bowl. Add peanut butter and vanilla and mix again.
- Add your eggs, one at a time, and beat again until combined. Add baking powder and half your flour and beat briefly on low speed. Add milk and remaining flour and beat until mixture is smooth – but be careful not to over mix the batter.
- Spoon out your batter evenly between the cupcake liners and bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes or until they spring back lightly when touched. Place the cupcakes on a cooling rack to cool completely
- To make the frosting, place butter in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for a couple of minutes until pale and creamy. Meanwhile melt the chocolate in a microwave, stirring in between 20 second bursts, until just melted and set aside to cool a little.
- Once the butter is very pale and creamy, add half of the sugar and one tablespoon of milk and beat on low until the sugar is incorporated. Then, add the rest of the sugar and the milk, and again beat on slow until the sugar is incorporated before turning up to medium for another minute or so.
- Next, add in your melted chocolate to the buttercream mixture, ensuring the chocolate is still smooth and melted but is not warm. Beat until the chocolate is completely mixed through. Transfer your frosting to a piping bag fitted with a large circular tip. Pipe frosting onto each cupcake. Top with peanut butter cup.
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- Calories: 495
Keywords: Chocolate, Peanut butter, Cake, Cupcakes, Reeses peanut butter cups