Cook: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutes
Soft peanut butter cupcakes topped with swirls of chocolate buttercream.
Peanut butter cupcakes
- 115 grams (1 stick or 1/2 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 135 grams (3/4 cup) brown sugar
- 125 grams (1/2 cup) smooth peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 140 grams (1 cup) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) full fat or whole milk
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 100 grams (2/3 cup) dark chocolate, chopped
- 375 grams (3 cups) icing sugar or powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons full fat or whole milk
- 6 large peanut butter cups or 12 mini ones
- Line a 12-hole muffin tray with cupcake liners. Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced.
- In a large mixing bowl, add butter and sugar and beat with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Add peanut butter and vanilla and mix again.
- Add eggs, one at a time, and beat again until combined. Add baking powder and half the flour and beat briefly on low speed. Add milk and remaining flour and beat until mixture is smooth – but be careful not to over mix the batter.
- Spoon out your batter evenly between the cupcake liners. Bake for approximately 18-20 minutes or until they spring back lightly when touched. Place the cupcakes on a cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make the frosting, place butter in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for a couple of minutes until pale and creamy. Meanwhile melt the chocolate in a microwave, stirring in between 20 second bursts, until just melted and set aside to cool a little.
- Once the butter is very pale and creamy, add half of the sugar and one tablespoon of milk and beat on low until the sugar is incorporated. Then, add the rest of the sugar and the milk, and again beat on slow until the sugar is incorporated before turning up to medium for another minute or so.
- Next, add in your melted chocolate to the buttercream mixture, ensuring the chocolate is still smooth and melted but is not warm. Beat until the chocolate is completely mixed through.
- Transfer frosting to a piping bag fitted with a large circular tip. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes. Decorate with peanut butter cups.
Category: DessertCuisine: American