If you need a chocolate fix, these Double Chocolate Sandwich Cookies are for you.
Simple but stunning, these cut out chocolate cookies are made using a buttery shortbread cookie dough, and are stuffed with glossy dark chocolate ganache.
The best part? You get to eat two cookies in one! #winning
These Double Chocolate Sandwich Cookies were inspired by my love of Oreo cookies. Two chocolate cookies sandwiched together with a creamy filling – does it get any better?
Granted these cookies don’t have a vanilla cream filling like Oreos do, but when I want chocolate, I want to go ALL out. So we’re talking chocolate with chocolate with chocolate. I’m ALL IN!
For the rich dark brown colour of these cookies and a more intense flavour, I used dutch processed cocoa powder. You can usually find it in the supermarket next to regular cocoa, but if you can’t find it, feel free to use regular cocoa in this recipe.
You can also cut out these cookie into whatever shape you would like. Hearts, rectangles, stars – whatever your heart desires. Most cookie cutters will work – they would even been super cute at Christmas time.
The chocolate filling in the centre, is simply dark chocolate and cream. An easy ganache that can be made in the microwave, but will take these cookies to the next level.
You can spread the ganache using a spatula or pipe it on. Just try not to overfill them, as the ganache tends to squeeze out the sides when you take a bite. Not really a problem in my books! 😉
So if you’re on the hunt for a chocolate fix, look no further than these Double Chocolate Sandwich Cookies. Thin and crispy, with a little bit of chew in the middle and plenty of chocolate goodness, they really are a sweet treat.
You could even serve them with coffee as an after dinner delight or throw a scoop of ice cream in the middle. There really are no rules when it comes to these chocolate sandwich cookies!
Double Chocolate Sandwich Cookies. These cut out chocolate cookies are made using a buttery shortbread cookie dough, and glossy dark chocolate ganache.
- 230 grams (1 cup or 2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 125 grams (1 cup) powdered or icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 40 grams (1/2 cup) dutch processed cocoa powder
- 150 grams (1 cup) good quality dark chocolate
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) thickened cream
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter for approximately 2 minutes or until pale and creamy. Sift in the powdered or icing sugar and the vanilla extract and beat again. Sift in the flour and cocoa powder and beat briefly until a soft dough forms. Shape the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Line a baking tray with baking or parchment paper.
- Lightly flour your bench and roll out your dough to your preferred thickness. Cut out shapes with cookie cutters and place on your prepared tray. Bake in the oven for approximately 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the chocolate ganache, place your chocolate, broken into pieces, and cream into a bowl. Microwave for 30-60 seconds, until cream is hot to the touch but not boiling. Then gently whisk together until smooth ganache forms. Leave for 15 minutes to cool and thicken slightly. Spread 10 cookies with the chocolate ganache, place remaining cookies on top.
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich cookie
- Calories: 408
Keywords: Chocolate, Cookies, Dessert, Sandwich cookies