This is the BEST Chocolate Mud Cake recipe. Perfectly moist with plenty of chocolate flavour, it’s a super easy cake to make and the milk chocolate frosting just puts it over-the-top.
Fudgy-licious cake right here 👆🏻
If you’re on the hunt for a deliciously rich chocolate mud cake with a fudgy chocolate-laden centre and a creamy milk chocolate frosting, I’ve got you covered.
This is the chocolate cake of your dreams.
I love chocolate cake. ❤️ And this year has been the year of chocolate cake for me. First I shared with you my recipe for a deliciously easy Dairy Free Chocolate Cake. Next came my all-time favourite Flourless Chocolate Cake.
Just last month, I shared with you my Chocolate Buttermilk Cake and now we’re moving on to deliciously rich Chocolate Mud Cake.
It took quite a bit of testing to get this cake just right, but I’m so happy with the result. This cake has just the right amount of cake and just the right amount of fudge. While I love a soft and fluffy chocolate cake, I wanted this one to be different.
I wanted a crumb that sticks to your fork. I wanted a cake that had almost a brownie-like texture in parts, but I didn’t want a brownie and I didn’t want a regular chocolate cake. I wanted something special. And I found it.
With real dark chocolate and cocoa powder in the cake batter, this cake is laden with chocolate flavour. To complement the rich fudgy centre, I added a smooth and creamy milk chocolate frosting made with real chocolate.
If you have a choco-holic in your family, you need to try this cake. Not only is it delicious, but it’s very easy to make. The cake comes together with a bowl and spoon – you don’t even need an electric mixer.
My only advice for that perfectly dense and fudgy centre is to make sure you don’t overcook the cake. The more it cooks, the less fudgy it will become. My Chocolate Mud Cake takes about 55 minutes to 1 hour to cook, but I recommend checking your cake from about 50 minutes onwards.
Every oven is different, so it’s important to work out what timing works before for you. If you make this cake, please take a photo and show me on Instagram! I think I’ll go have another slice right now x
Deliciously fudgy chocolate mud cake topped with milk chocolate frosting.
Chocolate mud cake
- 230 grams (1 cup / 2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 200 grams (1 and 1/3 cup) good quality dark chocolate
- 300 grams (2 cups) caster sugar
- 45 grams (1/4 cup) brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 40 grams (1/2 cup) cocoa powder
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Milk chocolate frosting
- 115 grams (1/2 cup / 1 stick) unsalted butter
- 250 grams (2 cups) icing or powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 100 grams (2/3 cup) milk chocolate
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 150 C (300 F). Grease and line a 9 inch round springform cake tin with baking or parchment paper.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add butter and dark chocolate. Melt in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds, until smooth. Leave to cool slightly – just a minute or two.
- Add sugars to chocolate mixture and stir. Add eggs. Mix to combine. Add cocoa powder, flour and baking soda and mix gently. Add milk and vanilla. Stir until chocolate batter is combined and smooth. It will be quite thick – this is ok.
- Pour cake batter into prepared cake tin. Bake for approximately 50-60 minutes or until cake no longer wobbles in the middle. Try not to over bake as you want the cake to be moist in the middle. Leave to cool completely in the cake tin.
- To make the frosting, place butter in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until pale and creamy. Meanwhile melt the chocolate in a microwave, stirring in between 20 second bursts, until just melted and set aside.
- Add half the sugar, cocoa powder and one tablespoon of milk and beat until combined. Add the remaining sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add melted chocolate, ensuring the chocolate is still smooth and melted but is not warm. Beat until the chocolate is completely mixed through. If frosting is too thick, add an extra tablespoon of milk. Generously frost the top of the cake using a spatula.
This cake is quite possibly even nicer the day after it’s made as it tends to go even fudgy-ier.
- Serving Size: 1 slice of cake
- Calories: 647
Keywords: Chocolate Cake, Mud Cake, Chocolate Mud Cake