Big, buttery chocolate chip cookie bars with a thick layer of chocolate fudge.
Chocolate chip cookie dough
- 170 grams (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 135 grams (3/4 cup) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 245 grams (1 and 3/4 cup) plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 150 grams (1 cup) milk chocolate chips
- 240 ml (1 cup) sweetened condensed milk
- 350 grams (2 and 1/3 cup) dark chocolate chips
- Grease and line an 8 inch square baking tin with baking or parchment paper, ensuring two sides overhang. Preheat oven to 180 C (360 F).
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar with an electric beater until pale and creamy. Add vanilla, egg and egg yolk and beat again until combined.
- Sift in flour, baking soda and beat until a soft dough forms. Add chocolate chips and gently stir.
- Divide the dough into two and press half of the cookie dough into the bottom of your pan to form one even layer.
- To make the chocolate fudge, melt the chocolate chips in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds, until smooth. Add sweetened condensed milk and stir together until combined. Pour over the bottom layer of cookie dough.
- Grab the other half of your cookie dough and break it up into pieces and place all over the top of the chocolate fudge. Try to spread it out to completely over the chocolate fudge – don’t worry if there are a few gaps.
- Pop into the oven for approximately 25-30 minutes or until golden brown on top. Leave to cool for 15 minutes before placing in the fridge for at least 2 hours to set. Cut into small slices and serve.
*A few readers have let me know that the chocolate fudge is quite sweet, so if you like, you can half the fudge portion of the cookies. Simply follow the same directions but use 1/2 cup of condensed milk and 1 cup of dark chocolate chips.
Keywords: Chocolate chip cookie bars, Fudge stuffed cookies, Fudge stuffed chocolate chip cookie bars