Easy, fudgy caramel truffles coated in dark chocolate.
- 60 grams (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 240 ml (1 cup) sweetened condensed milk
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 150 grams (1 cup) white chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 300 grams (2 cups) good quality dark or milk chocolate
- Crushed peanut or hazelnuts, optional
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl (with high sides for splatter), add butter, sweetened condensed milk and brown sugar.
- Heat in the microwave for approximately 3 minutes, stopping to stir every minute. By the end of the 3 minutes, the butter should be completely melted and the sugar dissolved.
- Give the caramel a good stir, then heat for another 3 minutes, making sure you stir every 30 seconds. If you don’t the caramel will get too hot and bubble over – making a mess in your microwave. Keep in mind the caramel is getting very hot, so use an oven mitten to safely get the bowl in and out of the microwave.
- By now, your caramel should be very thick and golden in colour*. Add white chocolate. Give it a good stir to make sure the chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Lastly, stir in sea salt.
- Place caramel fudge in the fridge to firm up for at least 3-4 hours.
- Leave the caramel fudge at room temperature for 5 minutes or so. Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds, until melted and smooth.
- Scoop out tablespoons of the caramel fudge and roll into a ball using your hands. Dip each ball into the melted dark chocolate. Use a fork to scoop out the ball and place on an oven tray lined with baking paper.
- Repeat with remaining caramel fudge truffles. Top each truffle with crushed nuts (if using). Store truffles in the fridge.
*Cooking times may vary. This recipe has been tested using an 100W microwave. You’ll be able to tell your caramel is ready when it thickens and turns golden brown in colour.
- Serving Size: 1 truffle
- Calories: 239
Keywords: Chocolate, Caramel, Truffles, Dessert