Prep: 90 minutesCook: 35 minutesTotal: 2 hours 5 minutes
A delicious two layer White Chocolate Cake covered in white chocolate buttercream.
White chocolate mud cake
- 230 grams (1 cup / 2 sticks) butter, roughly chopped
- 300 grams (2 cups) good quality white chocolate
- 200 grams (1 cup) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 240 ml (1 cup) full fat or whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 350 grams (2 and 1/2 cups) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
White chocolate buttercream
- 230 grams (1 cup / 2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 150 grams (1 cup) good quality white chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 435 grams (3 and 1/2 cups) powdered sugar or icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons whole or full fat milk
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 100 grams (2/3 cups) dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 250 grams (2 cups) icing or powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons full fat or whole milk
- Cadbury Topdeck Chocolates, for decorating
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Grease and line two 8-inch round cake tins with baking or parchment paper.
- In a medium saucepan, add butter, white chocolate, sugar and milk. Place on medium heat, stirring until smooth and sugar has dissolved. Set aside for a few minutes to cool slightly.
- Add eggs and vanilla to cooled white chocolate mixture and stir until combined. Add flour and baking powder and stir until combined – don’t worry if the batter is a little lumpy.
- Divide the cake batter between the two cake tins and place in the oven for approximately 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the white chocolate frosting, place butter in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until pale and creamy. Meanwhile melt the chocolate in a microwave, stirring in between 20 second bursts, until just melted and set aside.
- Add vanilla, half the sugar and one tablespoon of milk to the butter and beat until combined. Add the remaining sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add melted chocolate, ensuring the chocolate is still smooth and melted but is not warm. Beat until the chocolate is completely mixed through. If frosting is too thick, add an extra tablespoon of milk.
- Place one cake layer onto a cake board or stand. Cover the top with white chocolate buttercream. Place second cake layer on top (upside down for a nice flat top). Frost the top and sides of cake. Smooth sides using a cake scraper.
- To make the chocolate frosting, place butter in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until pale and creamy. Meanwhile melt the chocolate in a microwave, stirring in between 20 second bursts, until just melted and set aside.
- Add half the sugar and one tablespoon of milk to the butter and beat until combined. Add the remaining sugar and beat until smooth. Add extra tablespoon of milk if needed.
- Add chocolate frosting to a piping bag fitted with a large round tip and pipe frosting around the edge of the cake. Decorate with chocolate pieces.
Category: DessertCuisine: American