Soft and fluffy Vegan Vanilla Cake made without, eggs, butter or milk.
Vegan vanilla cake
- 240 ml (1 cup) almond milk*
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) plain flour or all purpose flour, sifted
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Vegan vanilla frosting
- 115 grams (1/2 cup) block of vegan butter (not spreadable), softened*
- 250 grams (2 cups) icing or powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond milk, if needed
- Sprinkles, optional
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Grease and line a 8-inch cake pan with baking or parchment paper.
- Add together almond milk and vinegar and set aside to curdle for 5 minutes. In a large mixing bowl, add flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk briefly.
- Make a well in the middle of your dry ingredients. Add oil, vanilla and all the milk. Whisk until combined. Your cake batter will appear thin – this is ok.
- Transfer batter to cake pan and place in the oven. Bake for approximately 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool completely.
- To make your vanilla frosting, add vegan butter to a large mixing bowl. Use an electric mixer to beat on a low speed for 30 seconds or so, just until soft and creamy. Add sugar and vanilla. Beat until a soft frosting forms. If it’s too thick, add a touch of almond milk. If your frosting is too soft, place it in the fridge to firm up before frosting your cake.
- Use a spatula to frost the top of your cake and decorate with sprinkles, if using.
1. I tested this recipe using almond milk, however, other plant based milks, such as soy, should also work. See above in post for full substitution guidelines.
2. I find that vegan butters are naturally very soft since they are usually made with oil. Unlike regular butter, you may not need to softened your butter for long (even just 10-15 minutes out of the fridge) before using it. Use your judgement!