Soft vanilla cupcakes topped with cream cheese frosting.
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 175 grams (1 and 1/4 cup) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) whole or full fat milk
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) full fat sour cream or Greek yogurt
Cream cheese frosting
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) butter, softened
- 250 grams (1 and 1/4 cup) full fat cream cheese, softened, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 375 grams (3 cups) icing sugar or powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Funfetti sprinkles, to decorate
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Line a 12-hole muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter, sugar and vanilla together using an electric mixer until pale and creamy. Add egg and beat briefly until combined. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add half the flour mixture and all the milk and slowly mix together on a low speed. Add the rest of the flour and the sour cream and mix briefly until smooth and creamy. The mixture will be thick.
- Spoon out the cake batter into your prepared liners and bake in the oven for approximately 18-20 minutes or until golden. Leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the cream cheese frosting, add butter and cream cheese to a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla. Add sugar, 1 cup at a time, and continue to beat until smooth. Add milk and beat briefly.
- Transfer frosting to piping bag fitted with a large round tip. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes. Decorate with sprinkles.
You can also use this recipe to make mini cupcakes. It will make 24 cupcakes.