Prep: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutes
Homemade chocolate buttercream made using REAL dark chocolate.
- 345 grams (1 and 1/2 cups or 3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 625 grams (5 cups) icing or powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 200 grams (1 and 1/3 cup) good quality dark chocolate, pieces
- Place butter in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for approximately 4 minutes (use a timer).
- Once the butter is very pale and creamy, add half the sugar and beat on low until the sugar is incorporated and then beat on medium speed again for a further two minutes.
- Next, add the rest of the sugar and the milk, and beat on slow until the sugar is incorporated before turning up to medium for another two minutes.
- Meanwhile melt the chocolate in the microwave, stirring every 20 seconds, until just melted. Make sure the chocolate is smooth and melted but not hot. If it’s warm to the touch, leave to cool slightly.
- Add melted chocolate to the buttercream mixture and mix briefly until the chocolate is completely mixed through. Use to frosting cake or cupcakes.
- To ensure frosting is nice and fluffy, use a timer and actually beat the butter for the suggested time.
- If your frosting is too thick to spread, add an extra tablespoon of milk.
Category: DessertCuisine: American