Easy Smartie Cookies filled with chocolate chips.
- 115 grams (1 stick or 1/2 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 75 grams (1/2 cup) white chocolate chips
- 75 grams (1/2 cup) dark or milk chocolate chips
- 200 grams (1 cup) Smarties, plus extra for decorating
- Sea salt
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Line two baking trays or cookie sheets with baking or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the butter and sugars and beat using an electric beater on medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- Add vanilla and egg and beat until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Add flour, baking soda and salt and beat again just until a soft cookie dough forms.
- Add chocolate chips and Smarties and mix on a low speed just until chocolate is evenly mixed through the cookie dough. Or use a wooden spoon or spatula. Try not to over-mix.
- Scoop out cookie dough (roughly 1.5 tablespoons each) into balls and place on baking trays, leaving room for the cookies to spread. Place in oven for 11-12 minutes or until golden brown on the edges.
- Add a few extra Smarties on top of the cookies while they’re warm. Leave cookies to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Sprinkle cookies with sea salt.
Smarties: If you don’t have access to Smarties, you could use M&M’s or Cadbury Gems or another candy coated chocolate. Otherwise you can leave them out for a delicious chocolate chip cookie.
Storage: Once baked and cooled, Smartie Cookies can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature.
Make-ahead: If you want to make the cookie dough ahead of time, you can scoop and roll the dough and then freeze it. When you want to bake your Smartie Cookies, simply thaw the cookie dough balls at room temperature and then bake as per the instructions.