Prep: 60 minutesCook: 35 minutesTotal: 1 hour 35 minutes
Simple Strawberry Apple Galette with sweet shortcrust pastry and filled with luscious fresh fruits.
Sweet shortcrust pastry
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 20 grams (2 tablespoons) icing or powdered sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 115 grams (1/2 cup / 1 stick) unsalted butter, cold
- 3 tablespoons water, chilled
Strawberry apple filling
- 250 grams (2 cups) fresh strawberries, sliced
- 120 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) apple, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cornflour or corn starch
- 1 large egg, for washing
- In a large bowl, add the flour, sugar and salt. Cut up the cold butter into small cubes and add it to the flour. Have your cold ice water at the ready. Using your hands, gently knead the butter into the flour mixture until it starts to come together and resembles dry crumbs. Add a tablespoon of water and continue to knead the dough gently.
- Add the other two tablespoons of water, one at a time, until a soft dough forms. Don’t knead the dough for long – just until it comes together. Roll into a disc, wrap in plastic, and pop into the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add your sliced strawberries and chopped apple to a large bowl. Add the caster sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and cornflour. Stir together. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. When you’re ready to assemble your galette, lightly flour your bench. Roll out your dough (you can leave it for 5 minutes or if it’s too cold to roll out) into a large circle, approximately 10 inches wide. Carefully transfer the dough to a baking tray that is lined with baking paper.
- Add your fruit mixture to the middle of your dough, leaving the liquid and natural juices behind. Carefully fold up the sides of the pastry to hold the fruit in place. You can drizzle a tablespoon or two of the fruit liquid over the top but not too much or the pastry will become soggy.
- Gently beat your egg with a fork, then brush the pastry with the egg wash to help it go lovely and brown in the oven. Sprinkle a few tablespoons of sugar over the pastry. Bake for approximately 30-35 minutes or until the pastry is golden. Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream or a drizzle of cream over the top.
Category: DessertCuisine: American