Peppermint Chocolate Shortbread Cookies, buttery cookies baked to perfection, then dipped in melted chocolate and covered in candy cane crumbs.
- 230 grams (1 cup or 2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 125 grams (1 cup) powdered or icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract OR 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 40 grams (1/2 cup) cocoa powder
- 100 grams (2/3 cup) good quality dark or milk chocolate
- Peppermint candy canes, crushed
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter for approximately 2 minutes or until pale and creamy. Sift in the powdered or icing sugar and the vanilla extract or peppermint extract and beat again. Sift in the flour and cocoa powder and stir until combined and a soft dough forms. Shape the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 160 C (320 F). Line a baking tray with baking or parchment paper. Lightly flour your bench and roll out your dough to your preferred thickness. Cut out shapes with cookie cutters and place on your prepared tray. Bake in the oven for approximately 10-15 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Melt your chocolate in the microwave, stirring in between 15 second bursts. Dip your cookies, one at a time, into the chocolate and then place on your wire rack. Sprinkle over candy cane crumbs before the chocolate sets. Repeat.
To freeze uncooked dough:
Place the dough onto a piece of baking or wax paper and spread out into a long circular roll. Cover with cling wrap and place in the freezer until you are ready to bake. To cook the cookies, thaw for 10-15 minutes before cutting into 1/2 inch slices and placing on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake at 160 C (320 F) for approximately 15 -17 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 208
Keywords: Chocolate, Peppermint, Christmas, Cookies, Dessert