Prep: 360 minutesCook: 45 minutesTotal: 6 hours 45 minutes
Tasty Pecan Pie Bars made from scratch without corn syrup.
Shortbread cookie crust
- 115 grams (1/2 cup / 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 45 grams (1/4 cup) brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 175 grams (1 and 1/4 cup) plain flour or all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
Pecan caramel filling
- 115 grams (1/2 cup / 1 stick) unsalted butter, roughly chopped
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) good quality maple syrup
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) thickened or heavy cream, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sea salt
- 275 grams (2 and 1/2 cups) pecans
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Line an 8-inch square pan with baking or parchment paper, ensuring two sides of the paper overhang.
- In a large mixing bowl, add butter, brown sugar and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft and creamy. Add flour and salt and beat briefly just until soft cookie dough forms.
- Transfer cookie dough to prepared baking pan. Press down using the back of a spoon to form one even layer. Place in the oven for 12-14 minutes or until cookie crust starts to go golden on the edges. Remove and set aside to cool slightly.
- To make the caramel, place butter, brown sugar and maple syrup in a medium saucepan on a medium heat. Stir continuously until butter melts and sugar dissolves.
- Turn heat up to medium-high, and bring caramel to the boil. Once caramel is boiling, keep it on the heat for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. The caramel will bubble away and look frothy.
- Remove caramel from heat and stir briefly until bubbles disappear and the mixture is nice and smooth. Add cream (cream MUST be at room temperature to avoid the mixture seizing), vanilla and sea salt. Stir.
- Finally, add pecans and stir until they’re completely coated in caramel. Pour pecans and caramel over cooled cookie crust. Smooth the top.
- Bake pecan pie bars for approximately 30 minutes or until caramel darkens and is bubbling around the edges. The caramel may still look runny – this is ok. It will firm up as it cools.
- Leave bars to cool for 30 minutes at room temperature. Then place in the fridge for at least 3-4 hours to set completely. Cut into small squares and devour.
Serving Size: 1 square Calories: 328 Sugar: 15.1 g Sodium: 78.6 mg Fat: 24.8 g Carbohydrates: 25.9 g Protein: 2.9 g Cholesterol: 33.1 mg
Nutrition information is a guide only.
Category: DessertCuisine: American