Creamy peanut butter buckeyes with a surprise Oreo cheesecake filling, dipped in dark chocolate.
- 200 grams (approximately 20) plain Oreo biscuits
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) cream cheese, softened
Peanut butter layer
- 250 grams (1 cup) smooth peanut butter
- 60 grams (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 250 grams (2 cups) icing or powdered sugar, sifted
- 225 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) good quality dark chocolate
- Begin by lining a large cookie sheet or baking tray with baking or parchment paper. Then pop all your Oreos (cream and all) into a food processor and whiz until they resemble fine crumbs. Then add in chunks of the softened cream cheese and whiz again. Stir with a plastic spatula or wooden spoon until the Oreo mixture is nice and wet.
- Roll the Oreo mixture into small balls and place onto your tray. You should make around 22 – 24 balls. Pop them into the fridge. Next to make the filling, add the peanut butter, butter and icing sugar into a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on slow until combined and then turn the speed up to medium for about a minute or until the mixture is nice and smooth.
- Next, get your Oreo balls out of the fridge. Grab a piece of peanut butter and wrap it around the Oreo until there is no more Oreo showing. Roll into a smooth ball using your hands. Continue until all the balls are complete and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes until nice and firm.
- Place a small saucepan on medium heat with about 5cm or 2 inches of water in the bottom. Pop the dark chocolate into a small heatproof bowl and place the bowl on top of the saucepan, ensuring the bottom of the bowl will not touch the water below. Gently stir as the steam slowly melts the chocolate and it becomes silky and smooth. I liked to remove the chocolate from the heat but keep the bowl on top of the warm water to keep the chocolate nice and loose.
- Use a toothpick to dip each peanut butter ball into the chocolate before gently lifting it out and placing it back on the tray. Continue with all the truffles and then refrigerate for at least 30 minutes until the chocolate sets.
Australian Oreos are slightly small than American Oreos, so it may be best to measure your amount of Oreos in grams, otherwise maybe just add 18 Oreo biscuits.
Keywords: Chocolate, Peanut butter, Oreo, Truffles, Balls