Thick New York style cookies filled with Nutella.
- 10–12 teaspoons (150 grams or approximately 1/2 cup) Nutella
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) butter, COLD (straight from the fridge), roughly chopped
- 190 grams (1 cup) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, cold
- 245 grams (1 and 3/4 cup) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 75 grams (1/2 cup) chocolate chips, plus extra for decorating
- Spoon out teaspoons of Nutella on a small plate lined with baking or parchment paper. Place in the freezer for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Line two baking trays with baking or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add cold butter and sugar. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Add vanilla and egg. Beat again until combined – but try not to over mix. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add flour, baking soda and salt and beat on a low speed until soft cookie dough forms. Add chocolate chips and beat briefly.
- Scoop out roughly 1 tablespoon of cookie dough, and flatten it using your hands. Place a piece of frozen Nutella on top. Then grab another piece of cookie dough, approximately 1 tablespoon, and place it on top.
- Use your fingertips to wrap the cookie dough completely around the Nutella and pinch it shut. Then roll the cookie dough using the palm of your hand into a ball.
- Place cookie dough balls on prepared oven trays, leaving room for cookies to spread out. Press a few extra chocolate chips on top of each cookie.
- Bake cookies for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Leave cookies to cool for 5-10 minutes before carefully transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Butter: We use cold butter to help make thick cookies. If you choose to use room temperature or softened butter for this recipe, you’ll need to chill the cookie dough for at least 30 minutes before baking to minimise spreading.
Cookie thickness: If you’ve had trouble with cookies spreading too much in the past, I recommend baking one tester cookie. If your cookie is too flat – mind you it’ll still be delicious – chill the cookie dough balls for 30 minutes to 1 hour and try again.