A four layer chocolate cake covered in Maltesers.
- 280 grams (2 cups) plain flour
- 80 grams (1 cup) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 300 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) caster sugar
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 240 ml (1 cup) buttermilk
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 240 ml (1 cup) hot water
- 230 grams (1 cup / 2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 625 grams (5 cups) icing or powdered sugar
- 100 grams (2/3 cup) milk chocolate
- 75 grams (1/2 cup) dark chocolate
- 4–6 tablespoons milk
- 560 grams (4 x 140g packets) Maltesers* or chocolate malt balls
- Chocolate cake
Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Grease and line two 8-inch round cake tins with baking or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda. Then add sugars and whisk together.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add buttermilk, vegetable oil, vanilla and eggs. Whisk together. Boil the kettle and pour out 1 cup of hot water. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Start to fold together, slowly pour in the hot water, and continue to mix until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Divide the mixture into two cake tins and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Leave for 10 minutes before gently removing the cakes from their tins and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Chocolate buttercream
Place butter in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for a couple of minutes until pale and creamy. Meanwhile melt the chocolate (both milk and dark chocolate) in the microwave, stirring every 20 seconds, until just melted and set aside to cool a little.
- Once the butter is very pale and creamy, add half of the sugar and a tablespoon of milk and beat on low until the sugar is incorporated. Then, add the rest of the sugar and two tablespoons of milk, and beat on slow until the sugar is incorporated.
- Next, add melted chocolate to the buttercream mixture, ensuring the chocolate is still smooth and melted but is not warm. Beat until the chocolate is completely mixed through. Add an extra tablespoon or two of milk until frosting is smooth and creamy.
- To assemble cake, trim the tops of the cakes. Then cake each in half horizontally so you have four layers of cake in total. Cover the first layer of cake with chocolate buttercream, add another layer of cake and repeat with remaining buttercream and cake. Then cover the entire cake with frosting.
- Finally, add Maltesers all over the top and sides of the cake.
*Maltesers are Australian candies similar to Whoopers in America.
Keywords: Malteser cake, Chocolate cake, Layer cake