Light and fluffy Homer Simpson Donuts covered in pink sugar glaze.
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) warm water
- 2 and 1/4 teaspoons dried instant yeast
- 455 grams (3 and 1/4 cups) plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 50 grams (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 60 grams (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) buttermilk
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 190 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) icing or powdered sugar
- 2–4 tablespoons milk
- A few drops of pink food gel or food colouring
- 30 grams (1/4 cup) coloured funfetti sprinkles
- In a small bowl, add warm water and sprinkle yeast over the top. Set aside for 5 minutes to bloom. Yeast should go foamy.
- Add 420 grams (3 cups) flour and the sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer. Add butter, egg, vanilla and buttermilk. Add yeast (water and all) and mix with a dough hook for 5 minutes or until dough becomes smooth. If dough is too sticky to the touch, add extra 35 grams (1/4 cup) flour.
- Lightly grease a large bowl with a little vegetable oil. Bring dough together into one ball, place in bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and leave in a warm place to rise. You want the dough to double in size, it should take approximately 60 to 75 minutes.
- Lightly flour bench. Remove dough from bowl and gently knead with your hands for 2-3 minutes. Roll dough to 1/2 inch thick.
- Line two baking trays with baking paper. Use a donut cutter or large round cookie cutter to cut out circles of dough, approximately 3.5 inch wide. Cut out hole in the middle of each donut and discard. Gently place donuts on baking tray. Cover loosely with plastic wrap.
- Meanwhile prepare the oil for frying. Fill a large heavy bottomed saucepan with oil and use a thermometer to heat the oil to 180 C (360 F). The amount of oil needed will vary depending on the size of your saucepan. You will want enough oil to come up about halfway of the saucepan, with plenty of room for the donuts to sizzle.
- Once the oil is ready to go, gently add two or three donuts into the oil, one at a time, being carefully not to overcrowd the pan. Let them cook for 90 seconds, before flipping over and cooking for an additional 90 seconds – I recommend using a timer.
- Once they’re golden brown, lift them out gently using a slotted spoon and pop them on a plate lined with paper towel. Leave to cool.
- Sift icing sugar in a small bowl, add 2 tablespoons of milk and stir until smooth. Add a few drops of food colouring until you reach your desired shade of pink.
- Dip each donut in the frosting, one at a time, and add sprinkles on top. If the frosting gets too thick, add another tablespoon of milk.
Keywords: Donuts, Doughnuts, Homer Simpson Donuts, Glazed Donuts