Prep: 90 minutesCook: 40 minutesTotal: 2 hours 10 minutes
Easy Gluten Free Chocolate Cake made from scratch.
Gluten free chocolate cake
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) gluten free plain flour*
- 40 grams (1/2 cup) cocoa powder
- 100 grams (1/2 cup) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 90 grams (1/2 cup) brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) buttermilk*
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) hot water
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 375 grams (3 cups) icing sugar or powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, sifted
- 2–3 tablespoons full fat or whole milk
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Grease and line an 8-inch round cake pan with baking or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, add gluten free flour, cocoa powder, sugars, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla and buttermilk. Whisk together. Boil the kettle and pour out 1/2 cup of hot water.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Start to fold together, then slowly pour in the hot water, and continue to mix until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Transfer mixture into prepared cake tin and bake for approximately 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Leave for 10 minutes before gently removing cake from tin and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting, place butter in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for a couple of minutes until pale and creamy.
- Add 1 cup of sugar and one tablespoon of milk and beat on low until the sugar is incorporated. Then, add the remaining sugar, cocoa powder and 1 tablespoon of milk, and beat on slow until the sugar is incorporated before turning up to medium for another minute or so.
- If buttercream is too thick, add an extra tablespoon of milk. Generously frost top and sides of cake with chocolate buttercream.
*Gluten free flour: I have tested this recipe using White Wings Gluten Free Plain Flour. It seems to work well for me. I know that there are many different brands in different countries, so try to find one that can be swapped one for one for regular flour.
*Buttermilk: You can make your own buttermilk. Simply add 2 teaspoons of white vinegar to 1/2 cup of full cream or whole milk. Let it sit for a few minutes and then use as normal.
Serving Size: 1 slice Calories: 489 Sugar: 56.3 g Sodium: 156.2 mg Fat: 28 g Carbohydrates: 60.3 g Protein: 2.8 g Cholesterol: 63.6 mg
Nutrition information is a guide only.
Category: CakeCuisine: Australian