Prep: 60 minutesCook: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutes
Soft cut-out chocolate gingerbread cookies.
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 135 grams (3/4 cup) brown sugar
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) golden syrup or molasses
- 1 egg yolk
- 245 grams (1 and 3/4 cup) plain flour
- 40 grams (1/2 cup) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until combined. Add the golden syrup and the egg yolk. Beat again to form a creamy mixture. Sift in the flour, cocoa, baking soda, ginger and mixed spice. Stir using a wooden spoon until dough starts to come together. Sprinkle your bench with some extra plain flour and then knead the dough until it comes together to form a smooth ball. Wrap the dough in plastic and pop in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Line two cookie or oven trays with baking paper. Generously flour your bench and roll out your dough using a rolling pin. Dust your rolling pin as you go to prevent the dough from sticking. Cut out shapes and place the cookies onto the prepared trays. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Category: DessertCuisine: American