Buttery vanilla cupcakes filled with sprinkles and topped with creamy chocolate buttercream.
Funfetti vanilla cupcakes
- 175 grams (1 and 1/4 cups) plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) caster sugar
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) buttermilk
- 35 grams (1/4 cup) funfetti pieces
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 435 grams (3 and 1/2 cups) powdered or icing sugar
- 3 or 4 tablespoons milk
- 20 grams (1/4 cup) cocoa powder
- Extra funfetti pieces for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with patty cases.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder and then add the sugar – give it a stir. Pop the butter into the microwave for a short burst, 10 seconds or so at a time, until it is JUST melted. Give it a stir with a fork to eliminate any lumps.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add the eggs, vanilla and butter and whisk together until smooth. Then add the wet mixture into the dry mixture, along with the buttermilk and gently fold until just combined. Then gently stir through the sprinkles. Try not to over mix so your cupcakes stay light and fluffy!
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared patty cases and pop into the oven. Bake for 16-18 minutes or until just cooked through. Set cakes out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely. Check them regularly as over baking may make the cupcakes dry.
- To make the chocolate frosting, add the butter to a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until pale and creamy. Gently sift in the icing sugar, one cup at a time. Add a tablespoon or two of milk to help loosen up the mixture.
- Add the cocoa powder and beat again. Add a tablespoon of milk if needed – I added about 4 tablespoons of milk in total but watch out that you don’t make the icing too wet as it will be harder to pipe. It should be nice and creamy but thick enough to hold its shape.
- Pipe the icing onto the cupcakes using a piping bag and a large star tip. Top each cupcake with a handful of funfetti pieces.
For tips on piping check out my cupcake frosting post HERE.
Keywords: Cupcakes, Cake, Funfetti, Sprinkles, Chocolate