Prep: 30 minutesCook: 40 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutes
Soft and tender Coffee Cake with a cinnamon crumble.
- 70 grams (1/2 cup) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornflour or corn starch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 25 grams (1/4 cup) walnuts, roughly chopped, optional
- 40 grams butter
- 115 grams (1/2 cup or 1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) caster sugar or granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) plain flour or all purpose flour
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) full fat or whole milk, room temperature
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) full fat Greek yogurt*, room temperature
- Icing sugar or powdered sugar, for decorating
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) standard / 160 C (320 F) fan-forced. Line and grease an 8-inch round cake pan with baking or parchment paper.
- To make cinnamon crumble, in a medium-sized mixing bowl, add plain flour, sugar, cornflour, cinnamon and walnuts. Melt butter in the microwave and pour over dry ingredients. Mix together until wet and crumbly. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter, sugar and vanilla together until pale and creamy. Add egg, beat briefly until combined, then scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the plain flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Add half of the flour mixture, along with all the milk and slowly mix together on a low speed.
- Add the remaining flour mixture and the yogurt and continue to mix until smooth and creamy. The batter will be quite thick – that’s fine!
- Pour the cake batter into your prepared tin and scatter cinnamon crumb all over the top. Bake cake for approximately 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes before gently removing from the tin and leaving to cool completely on a wire rack. To serve, dust with icing sugar.
*Greek yogurt: If you don’t have Greek yogurt, you can use full fat sour cream instead.
Serving Size: 1 slice Calories: 434 Sugar: 29.7 g Sodium: 98.3 mg Fat: 19.7 g Carbohydrates: 59.5 g Protein: 6.4 g Cholesterol: 67.6 mg
Nutrition information is a guide only.
Category: CakeCuisine: American